Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder major design issue?

I'm a very senior IT professional and LOVE MacOS. However, what am I missing with Finder which is failing to provide a very basic need:

• I need Finder to act as explorer... I have it opened on one desktop. I don't want it opened on another desktop (same system). If I click on OPTIONS ALL DESKTOPS then it (explorer view) shows on all desktops which is annoying as **** - I want it on one Desktop and not all others.
  • Here's the funky part: If I choose NONE or a specific Display then the icons on my main display disappear !!!
  • So this fails a very basic need: have my main icons on my laptop which should show up on every display on the laptop screen show up. But "explorer" view/window of finder be open on just one display. Come on this is a very basic need and can Finder not fulfill it?

Thanks for any tips.

I have to start looking for alternatives to Finder - but I don't want to mess with the system at that level...

Thanks.

Posted on May 31, 2021 2:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2021 4:22 AM

You don't need to make any low level changes if you want to use a Finder alternative.

There are plenty around. However, if I understand correctly what you are saying, I don't think it is an issue with the Finder, but with how macOS handles Spaces.

I am not sure if it will do what you want, but have a look at Path Finder. It is a paid application, but works in trial mode for 30 days.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2021 4:22 AM in response to itdkah

You don't need to make any low level changes if you want to use a Finder alternative.

There are plenty around. However, if I understand correctly what you are saying, I don't think it is an issue with the Finder, but with how macOS handles Spaces.

I am not sure if it will do what you want, but have a look at Path Finder. It is a paid application, but works in trial mode for 30 days.

May 31, 2021 7:24 AM in response to itdkah

Just to make it clear: Finder is an application; and the little icons on the desktop are part of Finder. Whenever the Finder is not showing (because it is not running or is not associated with the active Space), there are no desktop icons.

If I understand correctly, you want the desktop icons to appear on all desktops, but some particular window to appear on just one desktop (Space).

At present, you can't have parts of an application appear in "all desktops" and other parts only on some.

For most applications, you can easily just set them to "None", and then put each window on a separate Space, if you want to.

That works fine. However, not for the Finder - because if you don't set it to "All Desktops" you only have the desktop icons in one Space.

I haven't tried it, but it may sort of work if you add Path Finder, and use both it and Finder together.

May 31, 2021 3:18 PM in response to itdkah

itdkah wrote:

it exactly doesn't :-)

It doesn't what?

you can test for yourself :-)

Test what?

Even on single display mac if you set it to THIS DESKTOP or NONE your background desktop disappears on other desktops on this same mac (internal display) and if you choose ALL it's on all desktops.

I'm simply asking you to explain what you are seeing. My background desktop isn't disappearing anywhere. You are talking about the Finder and the desktop background, therefore, I don't know which of these "it" refers to.

May 31, 2021 4:57 PM in response to itdkah

That is how OS X, and macOS has always worked. The old "classic" System # might have worked the same, too, but I'm not sure you could use multiple monitors on it.

Icons populate from the top, right of the Primary display.

You should ask Apple for an Enhancement Request as it is a feature that has never existed in the history of the OS.

They added the Menu bar to all Displays, so it might not be out of the realm of possibility.

Finder major design issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.