Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to use a VPN with this late 2013 iMac?

I have a iMac late 2013, do I need to use a VPN with this iMac.? While receiving Apple support, I was told by the technician that my iMac has enough security. Therefore, I do not need to pay for a VPN.

Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 31, 2021 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2021 5:45 AM

Do not use a VPN!

Mac models have enough built-in security and one is not needed. Secondly, VPNs are not secure at all. Most just steal your data and sell it off.

The same applies to anti-virus software.

Cheers,

Jack

6 replies

May 31, 2021 3:31 PM in response to modesto from marietta

Unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint: Public VPN's are anything but private.  

Also there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.  

Do I need to use a VPN with this late 2013 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.