Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backspace: That key is not for that thing

What makes sense for a keyboard shortcut for the History/Forward and History/Back buttons.
Command-left arrow and Command-right arrow, perhaps? 🙂

But you know where this rant is going. The dual use of "Delete" (above return) as BOTH an edit-box backspace AND a History/Back shortcut.

I want that keyboard shortcut to die in a fire.

How do I do this?

Posted on Aug 1, 2010 1:12 AM

8 replies

Aug 5, 2010 11:38 AM in response to baltwo

I want delete/backspace to do absolutely nothing, unless I'm editing in a text box.

The problem is, if you ARE editing in a text box, Safari often gets confused about keyboard focus. It forgets you're editing a text box. Unbeknownst to you it redefines delete to mean "Go Back". This often happens when you tab away, say, to do some research on what you are writing. So you bang delete 20 times to remove the last few words and -- ZOOM, you get a tour of the internet!

At this point one of two things happens. Either you CAN'T go forward again because a redirect broke the forward chain... or you get to where you were editing, and find all the input fields have been wiped.

So - again for clarity - I want to REMOVE the functionality of a shortcut which already exists and is idiotic.

Jun 26, 2013 6:03 AM in response to Wolf Harper

Command-left and command-right are no better. In text fields, they mean 'go to the beginning of the line' and 'go to the end of the line' respectively. This is a bog-standard Mac UI convention they're overriding, replacing a little thing (text cursor placement) with a medium thing that can have negative consequences (web navigation, possible loss of form data).

Just this morning, I lost substantial work to this mind-bogglingly stupid UI decision. I felt like Strongbad in SBE: Sisters. I've freaking had it with this dumb 'shortcut'. If necessary, I'll even switch to Firefox.

I'd rather not. Give me a way to get rid of the minefield on my keyboard.

Jun 26, 2013 7:24 AM in response to Luke A Somers

Blame Google, or Apple for not closing this outdated thread. The "shortcut" links no longer work.

Lion... sigh. I will now shed a single tear for the loss of 2-dimensional spaces, and the onset of skeumorphism.

You've come full circle. Skeuomorphism dies a merciful death in Mavericks and iOS 7.

I want that keyboard shortcut to die in a fire.

I wish I had said that.

🙂

Backspace: That key is not for that thing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.