Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I found an iPad and want to know how can I get an iPad back to its original owner?

I found an iPad and want to know how to get it back to its owner

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 31, 2021 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2021 10:15 AM

Unless the owner has triggered lost mode - and remotely set an on-screen message that includes contact information - there is no way to identify or trace the owner. Apple, even if technically able, will not assist - as doing so would violate privacy legislation in many countries/regions.

As the iPad is likely to be Activation Locked, the iPad is useless to all but its owner. You essentially have three options:

1) Hand-in the device to the authorities - such as your local Police Department.

2) Return the device to Apple - who will environmentally recycle the item.

3) Discard the device (or keep it as an ornament.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2021 10:15 AM in response to rs2601

Unless the owner has triggered lost mode - and remotely set an on-screen message that includes contact information - there is no way to identify or trace the owner. Apple, even if technically able, will not assist - as doing so would violate privacy legislation in many countries/regions.

As the iPad is likely to be Activation Locked, the iPad is useless to all but its owner. You essentially have three options:

1) Hand-in the device to the authorities - such as your local Police Department.

2) Return the device to Apple - who will environmentally recycle the item.

3) Discard the device (or keep it as an ornament.

I found an iPad and want to know how can I get an iPad back to its original owner?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.