Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am supposed to get my keyboard replaced, what steps should I do before bringing my laptop in?

I am supposed to get my keyboard replaced, what steps should I do before bringing my laptop in?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on May 31, 2021 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2021 9:35 AM

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

2 replies

May 31, 2021 9:35 AM in response to Different_Views

Perform a last Time Machine backup to a mounted external drive that is formatted to either HFS+ or APFS (either implicitly case-insensitive, journaled). Don't bother with encryption as that is the great slow-downer and worse if you forget the password.

This way, if the operating system gets replaced during the keyboard replacement, you have the means to restore your own data and previous configuration later.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.