Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 3 cannot unlock iphone

Hi,

Couple days ago, when Apple firstly allow unlocking iphone with apple watch, my Apple Watch 3 was working properly.

However, days ago, when my iPhoneXSMax was updated to iOS 14.6 and my Apple Watch 3 was updated to WatchOS 7.5, I no longer can unlock my iPhone with my watch.

I did try restart both of the device, and I did unpair-pair the watch.

However, the issue exists - The setting to unlock iPhone is on while it cannot unlock it.

Any idea?

Best,

Justin

Apple Watch

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 12:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 7:04 PM

Hello, JMPoison.

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you’re no longer able to use your Apple Watch to unlock your iPhone when you’re wearing a mask after up dating the software on both devices. 

Let’s check the requirements to see if you have everything set correctly.

- You need to be wearing a mask that covers your mouth and nose.

- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi should be enabled on both devices.

- Your Apple Watch should have a passcode and Wrist Detection enabled. 

This article will go into detail:

Unlock your iPhone with Apple Watch when you're wearing a face mask - Apple Support

Warmest Regards.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2021 7:04 PM in response to JMPoison

Hello, JMPoison.

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you’re no longer able to use your Apple Watch to unlock your iPhone when you’re wearing a mask after up dating the software on both devices. 

Let’s check the requirements to see if you have everything set correctly.

- You need to be wearing a mask that covers your mouth and nose.

- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi should be enabled on both devices.

- Your Apple Watch should have a passcode and Wrist Detection enabled. 

This article will go into detail:

Unlock your iPhone with Apple Watch when you're wearing a face mask - Apple Support

Warmest Regards.

Jun 1, 2021 7:34 PM in response to JMPoison

Justin,

This is such a great feature! We can understand why you're looking into a resolution. Since the connection requires Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, is it possible you may have some wireless interference? Do you have any other Bluetooth devices connected? You might try temporarily disconnecting those and test in an area without any potential interference.

This article explains:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

If you're still not able to unlock, try powering off your Apple Watch and then your iPhone for a few minutes. When you're ready to turn them on again, make sure you power the iPhone first.

If you're still not able to unlock with your Apple Watch, you may need to contact Apple Support for more advanced troubleshooting.

Good luck!

Jun 2, 2021 1:00 PM in response to Ali_E1

Hi Alicia,

I hate being stupid. Yet, I just did...

Long story short, I also need to turn it on in my iPhone's settings/password section.

Why I didn't know:

When I tried to update my watch-3 from WatchOS 7.4.x to WatchOS 7.5, it failed multiple times telling me "You should unpair and re-pair".

Thus I did multiple times just for updating so.

Then when I checked the Watch App on my phone, the "wrist detection" and the "unlock iphone" options are both on.

Thus, thus, thus, I was assumed every settings are identically the same and not changed.

And of course I forgot there's also a setting in iphone's setting/passcode section.

Then yesterday I just noticed that the options to allow watch to unlock phone in the phone settings, was off somehow.......

I turned it on and it worked......

Thanks for the 1st link and I'll resolve this.

Appreciat it

Best,

Justin

Apple Watch 3 cannot unlock iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.