Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule and SMB1

Hello, I have a 1TB Time Capsule. It is running Firmware version 7.8.1. I use the device for system backup over my home network - both Apple and Windows machines. The devices is LAN attached to my router. After a recent upgrade from Microsoft, I am unable to reconnect to the Time Capsule, the error I am getting is that SMB1 protocol has been depricated and is no longer supported. Makes sense - I can use the utility to manage the device, but cannot network to it for storage functions.

1) Is there a version of the Time Capsule firmware that will update this protocol <and>

2) Is there a place where I can manually download it? The Airport Utility stops at the currently installed version, but I see that at 7.9.1 version is out there. <or>

3) Is there a workaround for the SMB1 protocol?

Thank you!

Rade

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 11:17 AM

The workaround to enable SMB1 on Windows 10 is to temporarily enable SMB1 on the Windows machine. There are any number of articles about this on the Internet using a Google search. Example:

https://www.tachytelic.net/2019/09/windows-10-enable-smb1/

Nothing has changed on the Time Capsule, it was designed to handle SMB1, so that is not the issue.

If your Time Capsule version is running 7.8.1 firmware, that is the most up to date version available. 7.9.1 can only be installed on the 802.11ac "tower" version of the AirPort routers, and you have an older "flat" version, that looks like a small white pizza box.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2021 11:17 AM in response to RadeRad

The workaround to enable SMB1 on Windows 10 is to temporarily enable SMB1 on the Windows machine. There are any number of articles about this on the Internet using a Google search. Example:

https://www.tachytelic.net/2019/09/windows-10-enable-smb1/

Nothing has changed on the Time Capsule, it was designed to handle SMB1, so that is not the issue.

If your Time Capsule version is running 7.8.1 firmware, that is the most up to date version available. 7.9.1 can only be installed on the 802.11ac "tower" version of the AirPort routers, and you have an older "flat" version, that looks like a small white pizza box.

Time Capsule and SMB1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.