Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open pages documents

Hello,

I am using a MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2011) with El Capitan 10.11.6. I tried to open a pages document a message pops up saying "It's time to update" and I was sent to a web page that sent me to the App store to update. I just seems to keep pinwheeling as if its downloading but nothing ever happens.

Thanks for any help

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 7:30 PM

The message means yu can't open the document you chose because the version of Pages you have installed does not support documents created with a (much) newer version of Pages.

Unfortunately, your Mac, currently running OS X 10,11 (El Capitan) is unlikely to be able to support the current macOS, which is needed for the current version of Pages. To find the introduction date of your MBAir, choose About this Mac from the Apple Menu.

You can then get some idea of the OS versions compatible with your Mac here: How to upgrade to macOS Catalina - Apple Support

Information regarding OS updates for machines not compatible with Catalina can be found here: How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

Regards,

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2021 7:30 PM in response to julian vandercook

The message means yu can't open the document you chose because the version of Pages you have installed does not support documents created with a (much) newer version of Pages.

Unfortunately, your Mac, currently running OS X 10,11 (El Capitan) is unlikely to be able to support the current macOS, which is needed for the current version of Pages. To find the introduction date of your MBAir, choose About this Mac from the Apple Menu.

You can then get some idea of the OS versions compatible with your Mac here: How to upgrade to macOS Catalina - Apple Support

Information regarding OS updates for machines not compatible with Catalina can be found here: How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

Regards,

Jun 1, 2021 10:38 PM in response to Barry

My work flow hasn't changed so if anyone else finds this thread you probably just upgraded to OS14 on an iPhone or iPad. I just checked and I can still open older documents as long as I don't make any changes. You can still save to iCloud you just can't make any changes. I guess this is a new "feature". I'll make a point not to edit any documents on my iPad or iPhone in the future. Its always been kinda handy to double check my work in the morning on my iPhone or iPad when I am commuting to work.

It's not really worth upgrading to a new computer so i'll probably switch to text editing software that supports my "old" computer and "new" iPhone and iPad. If I find an elegant work around I'll post it here.

Thanks for your help Barry!

Can't open pages documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.