Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID no being automatically initiated in certain situations

When I go to Notes and try to open a locked note, the application requires that I put in my password (which I did). But the application used to prompt touch id and it no longer does so. This is true for some other apps that used to prompt touch ID too. Why is touch ID no longer being used in these applications?

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 6:46 AM

Oh, brother, I figured out what is going on and I am mortified that I have been wasting your time. I went into Notes and checked all the options. The "Use Touch ID" option was turned off! I turned it on and it is working.

I have no idea how that got turned off (I guarantee you that I didn't do it). I should have looked through the Notes options first. One of the reasons why I didn't suspect it was a Notes-only problem is because I'm very sure that when my Apple ID was requested, Touch ID didn't work. Maybe it's a separate problem.

Again, I am so very sorry to have taken up your time and I am so very appreciative of your many informative responses. I think I am now going to go and bang my head against a wall.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2021 6:46 AM in response to PRP_53

Oh, brother, I figured out what is going on and I am mortified that I have been wasting your time. I went into Notes and checked all the options. The "Use Touch ID" option was turned off! I turned it on and it is working.

I have no idea how that got turned off (I guarantee you that I didn't do it). I should have looked through the Notes options first. One of the reasons why I didn't suspect it was a Notes-only problem is because I'm very sure that when my Apple ID was requested, Touch ID didn't work. Maybe it's a separate problem.

Again, I am so very sorry to have taken up your time and I am so very appreciative of your many informative responses. I think I am now going to go and bang my head against a wall.

Jun 4, 2021 4:44 AM in response to Falkirk

Good to know no Cr#$ware installed as they sometimes interfere with the normal operation of the Touch ID. As for the 10 seconds and starting up - seems normal. The Notes created a new and locked unlock - seems there is a permission issue. If locked and what to open but did not ask for password - something is not right.

Try the boot to Recovery Mode and Run from Disk Utilities the Repair Disk and restart in normal way and test your issue again.

Jun 3, 2021 5:41 PM in response to barberlives123

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I am using the latest software: Big Sur 11.4

Touch ID works on many things. For example, I just now used it to sign into this forum. I haven't been keeping track of which applications aren't working -- but I will from now on! I know it won't prompt Touch ID with locked Notes. It also doesn't work for Bitwarden and a game called Ticket to Ride. I'm pretty sure there are others.

The problem is baffling me. Touch ID used to work on locked notes. But now it doesn't. What changed?

Jun 4, 2021 12:01 AM in response to Eric--F

Thank you for your suggested course of action.

I had already tried opening my Mac in Safe Mode but, to be certain, I did it again. I then went to the apple in the menu; about this mac; system report; software; and confirmed that I was in safe mode. I then tried to open the password-protected item in notes and it did not prompt me to use Touch ID. I opened it using a password instead.

As I've said before, Touch ID is most definitely working in other instances, but not in every instance.

Jun 4, 2021 2:27 AM in response to Falkirk

The closest to SMC Reset on M1 - shutdown computer and keep lid open. Press and Hold the Power Button / Touch ID ( Same button ) for 10 seconds and release. Power up the computer and Test to functionality of Touch ID.

An aside but possible issue playing up with Normal Operation of Touch ID is >> Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. <<

Jun 4, 2021 4:33 AM in response to PRP_53

As instructed, I shut down the computer, kept the lid open, and pressed and held the power / Touch ID button for 10 seconds. The computer just turned on, so I'm not sure if I correctly did what you wanted me to do?

I haven't added any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, or VPNs since I got the computer.

An interesting thing just happened. As a test, I created a new Note and locked it. Like the others, it did not prompt me to use Touch ID when I opened it. But when I deleted it, the computer asked me to use Touch ID to verify my authority, I did use it, and it worked!? So why isn't Notes asking me if I want to use Touch ID with my other locked notes? Again, this used to work.

Touch ID no being automatically initiated in certain situations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.