Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hey so I was wondering if I delete my pictures on my actual phone to get more storage where those permanently delete or would they go into my iCloud storage and stay there but not on my actual phone?

If I delete pictures on my phone that are backed up onto my iCloud would they get deleted permanently and on iCloud or would they just delete on my phone

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 7:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 7:28 PM

If you sync photos with iCloud, it is a syncing service, not an archive service. This means if you delete photos from your phone, they delete from iCloud and any other devices you sync photos with.

If you need to clear space from your phone, upload the photos to your computer directly or an actual backup service you may subscribe to, such as Amazon Photos, Google Photos, Carbonite, Drop Box, etc.

Here is a link you can use to learn how to upload photos to your computer --> Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2021 7:28 PM in response to chickenweenie25

If you sync photos with iCloud, it is a syncing service, not an archive service. This means if you delete photos from your phone, they delete from iCloud and any other devices you sync photos with.

If you need to clear space from your phone, upload the photos to your computer directly or an actual backup service you may subscribe to, such as Amazon Photos, Google Photos, Carbonite, Drop Box, etc.

Here is a link you can use to learn how to upload photos to your computer --> Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jun 2, 2021 7:29 PM in response to chickenweenie25

They'll be deleted!

iCloud's main function is synchronization, which means all the devices you have logged in with you Apple ID will share that same information, and everything you do on each one will be sent to iCloud that will then replicate to all other devices.

You can make iCloud behave like that, but you'll have to toggle off the iCloud Photo Library on all devices, but you'll also lose the syncing feature and will have to sync everything manually using Finder/iTunes on a computer.

You can send your pictures just as files to iCloud Drive, but they'll not be managed by the Photos app, I mean, they'll be just files and you'll have to do the management (folders, file names, metadata, etc.)

Hey so I was wondering if I delete my pictures on my actual phone to get more storage where those permanently delete or would they go into my iCloud storage and stay there but not on my actual phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.