Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to downgrade from ios 14.6

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 11:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 11:05 PM

Richlandinc Said:

"How to downgrade from ios 14.6"

-------

You cannot download - not without a backup, at least.

Restore your iPhone from a Backup:

Have any backups of this iPhone prior to this? If so, then restore your iPhone from it. If not, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always backup your device prior to making any major change to it(which may be the case here). Important: Back up you iPhone prior to performing this installation, should anything go wrong from here on out.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2021 11:05 PM in response to Richlandinc

Richlandinc Said:

"How to downgrade from ios 14.6"

-------

You cannot download - not without a backup, at least.

Restore your iPhone from a Backup:

Have any backups of this iPhone prior to this? If so, then restore your iPhone from it. If not, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always backup your device prior to making any major change to it(which may be the case here). Important: Back up you iPhone prior to performing this installation, should anything go wrong from here on out.

Jun 27, 2021 7:30 PM in response to A_Linton

A_Linton Said:

"I do not want someone to convince me of the 14.6 ios version, it might work for you, but for my phone which is in perfectly good working order otherwise, it is not what I wanted."

-------

Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more they hear of this, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be fixed.

To Provide Feedback:

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: on when you came across this issue, and how you have troubleshot it thus far
  4. Proceed form there as necessary

Jun 27, 2021 4:03 PM in response to Richlandinc

I also have this issue, with my iPhone SE which was upgraded to ios 14.6. I have back ups from a week before the ios upgrade but when I try to restore my iphone uding iTunes I only have the option of "Restore and Update", there is no option to "Update" only. See the screenshot below. I also tried to restore to a backup I have from 2019, just to test it out and I had the same issue. I had read somewhere that there was a two week window to switch back (which I am in at the moment).

The update for me has been terrible, I removed ALL of the apps and did an erase all information and settings and out of my 15GB memory the Apple General and Other categories take up about 8GB, leaving me with a phone that I mostly use for photos that I have to remove once I reach 50 or so, and can barely put any apps on there since the "upgrade".

The battery is also much much worse and my phone over heats, even though I have closed all apps and have location services and background refresh off.

How can I go back if iTunes only gives me the option above?

Any help would be appreciated, and I do believe in the power of the forum!

p.s. I do not want someone to convince me of the 14.6 ios version, it might work for you, but for my phone which is in perfectly good working order otherwise, it is not what I wanted.

Jun 28, 2021 10:00 AM in response to AKRBTN

With is 14.6 there is a new Apple software which is called "Exposure Notifications", it is something you can turn on and off and it will link to your public health authority. I find this unecessary and often a duplicate of the apps each country will prioritise anyway (like the NHS app in the UK).

Attached is a screenshot. Apple does indeed make a Covid App..... they joined up with google to make a cross-platform (android) contact tracing app. It can be turned off and on, but the point is I don't want additional apps made mandatory, especially not ones about surveillance that take up the memory of my phone.....

Apple can jog on.

Jun 27, 2021 7:33 PM in response to A_Linton

The only thing that I can try to convince you of is the fact that Apple does not support downgrading and does not provide a path for doing so. That is fact. Even having a backup from before an update does not allow you to downgrade. The iPhone backup does not contain the operating system, just your data. Once you have updated iOS, this is what your device will use.

Jun 28, 2021 11:03 AM in response to A_Linton

The Exposure Notifications in Settings is not an app, and it cannot be turned on unless you have an app that has been provided by your local health department to track exposure. This is the API, not an app, that allows for your device to be identified to the health department's app. If you have not downloaded an app from your health department, that settings does absolutely nothing in your phone. It is not an additional app.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.