Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resetting mid 2010 iMac to factory settings, but it will not let me install OS X El Capitan

When trying to reinstall El Capitan --the only option it gives me at startup--it says "This item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later." It's a 27" display. I am not the original owner as this was gifted by a family member. Other posts indicate that I might need the OS to a flashdrive and install it that way. Can this be done without access to another Mac? I'm willing to install a newer OS if compatible, though that option has not been given. Should I reinstall with the original owner's AppleID; and, if so, will I be able to set up with my Apple ID after?

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 6:21 AM

The 27in Mid-2010 iMac shipped originally with OS X 10.6.3. You will need the gray DVD that shipped with the iMac to reinstall OS X 10.6.3, from which you can then perform software updates to OS X 10.6.8 v1.1.

If you no longer have the gray DVD that shipped with the iMac, then you will need to find a retail copy of the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 DVD on Amazon or eBay and boot from that DVD to get the operating system installed and update from there. I would apply all Snow Leopard updates through 10.6.8 v1.1 and the special Mac App Store update for it. Once you have done this, make a Time Machine backup of this operating system.

Now, using the Safari browser only, you may be able to obtain the full OS X El Capitan installer from the Mac App Store by accessing How to get old versions of macOS. The El Capitan download will drop into your Downloads folder as InstallMacOSX .dmg which you double-click to place the full installer into your /Applications folder. You can then now run that full installer to upgrade your iMac to El Capitan 10.11.6, and then apply any available updates via Software Update. I would make another Time Machine backup on a separate drive after the upgrade and updates are done for a baseline OS X El Capitan installation.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2021 6:21 AM in response to antkloster

The 27in Mid-2010 iMac shipped originally with OS X 10.6.3. You will need the gray DVD that shipped with the iMac to reinstall OS X 10.6.3, from which you can then perform software updates to OS X 10.6.8 v1.1.

If you no longer have the gray DVD that shipped with the iMac, then you will need to find a retail copy of the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 DVD on Amazon or eBay and boot from that DVD to get the operating system installed and update from there. I would apply all Snow Leopard updates through 10.6.8 v1.1 and the special Mac App Store update for it. Once you have done this, make a Time Machine backup of this operating system.

Now, using the Safari browser only, you may be able to obtain the full OS X El Capitan installer from the Mac App Store by accessing How to get old versions of macOS. The El Capitan download will drop into your Downloads folder as InstallMacOSX .dmg which you double-click to place the full installer into your /Applications folder. You can then now run that full installer to upgrade your iMac to El Capitan 10.11.6, and then apply any available updates via Software Update. I would make another Time Machine backup on a separate drive after the upgrade and updates are done for a baseline OS X El Capitan installation.

Resetting mid 2010 iMac to factory settings, but it will not let me install OS X El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.