Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur 11.4 downloaded extremely slow (20 hrs), then failed via "Software Update". Workaround was to download from Apple store

11.4 was released 2 days ago. I don't know why the download was so slow, and I'm going to guess that the slow download lead to file corruption, but the error message was not clear, and I did not see any 2021 discussions similar to this problem.

Also, the store download took about 30 minutes and worked

Just posting this to let Apple know that something's probably wrong with the basic "software update" route

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 10:18 AM

All update routes lead to the same Apple server. Yes, corruption can sometimes occur. When it does, it is due to an internet issue or an interruption in the download process. That is why Wi-Fi should not be used if possible. it is too slow for these very large files. Also, it can be possible for a download to take longer simply because the Apple server is overwhelmed at that particular time. Finally, you are not communicating with Apple here. We are Apple users like you are. If you have comments for Apple, connect to them at the following link: www.apple.com/feedback

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2021 10:18 AM in response to sirsycamore

All update routes lead to the same Apple server. Yes, corruption can sometimes occur. When it does, it is due to an internet issue or an interruption in the download process. That is why Wi-Fi should not be used if possible. it is too slow for these very large files. Also, it can be possible for a download to take longer simply because the Apple server is overwhelmed at that particular time. Finally, you are not communicating with Apple here. We are Apple users like you are. If you have comments for Apple, connect to them at the following link: www.apple.com/feedback

Big Sur 11.4 downloaded extremely slow (20 hrs), then failed via "Software Update". Workaround was to download from Apple store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.