You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook 2012 battery

Hello,

my MacBook Pro from 2012 does only get 5 hours of working use with 200 cycles. Would the cycles be better if I changed the battery into a new one? Or would I only be able to get 5 hours of usage due to the fact that this old MacBook is only capable of getting “old” batteries so a battery change wouldn’t change anything? I would like to get 10+ hours .

thanks in advance

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 1:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 1:54 AM

Just FYI - Your 2012 MacBook Pro was originally rated with a battery life of "up to 7 hours". If you are getting 5 hours out of it then that appears to be OK for normal use. You are always going to be around 4 - 7 hours in practical and realistic use.

Definition of a "Cycle" for a battery - One cycle is equivalent to one FULL charge of the battery from 0% - 100%. For example if you charge your MacBook Pro's battery from 75% - 100% then that will take 4 charges to make one complete 100% charging cycle. Your 2012 MacBook Pro's battery is rated for Maximum 1000 cycles. If you install a new battery then the charging cycle count starts again from 0.

Some third party battery manufacturers claim that you may get 50% more use than the original battery. Be careful about those claims.

Here is some more information on ➔ Your Mac notebook battery.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 5, 2021 1:54 AM in response to sp947

Just FYI - Your 2012 MacBook Pro was originally rated with a battery life of "up to 7 hours". If you are getting 5 hours out of it then that appears to be OK for normal use. You are always going to be around 4 - 7 hours in practical and realistic use.

Definition of a "Cycle" for a battery - One cycle is equivalent to one FULL charge of the battery from 0% - 100%. For example if you charge your MacBook Pro's battery from 75% - 100% then that will take 4 charges to make one complete 100% charging cycle. Your 2012 MacBook Pro's battery is rated for Maximum 1000 cycles. If you install a new battery then the charging cycle count starts again from 0.

Some third party battery manufacturers claim that you may get 50% more use than the original battery. Be careful about those claims.

Here is some more information on ➔ Your Mac notebook battery.

Axel F.

MacBook 2012 battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.