Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just bought the new Siri remote and the volume will not work.

I bought the 2021 Siri remote for my regular Apple TV (not the 4K edition as I do not have a 4K TV). With the older apple remote I had no issue controlling the volume on the TV using HDMI-CEC, but since using the new remote the volume control has not been working. I have gone through the TV’s settings to ensure everything is working there and gone through Apple’s recommended actions including going into the remote setting and the “learn new device” option. Every time I set it to auto or click on the new devices it had learned, it says “auto via IR” or “custom via IR”. I have also tried hard resetting the device by unplugging it for a minute and also unplugging/replugging in the hdmi chord and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

Apple TV HD, tvOS 14

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 12:09 PM

Then I would suggest that you do contact Apple Support about that.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support (phone numbers)

or start your support request online and they'll connect you to an expert.

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 8, 2021 12:12 PM in response to shawneyney96

Try new batteries in TV remote and redo the Learning

Weak batteries generate poor quality IR signals with fluctuating code structuring and frequency. The original remote may still work with your device, but these unreliable IR signals from weak batteries can cause issues when being learned...

Little known fact, generally TVs need IR for Volume + - and Mute, even if they have HDMI CEC. TVs generally don't see themselves as an audio device so they ignore incoming CEC commands for Volume Up Down and Mute.

If that does not work try Volume + - and/or Mute not working on new Siri remote & IR Learning Trouble Shooting.

Apple TV HDMI CEC Trouble Shooting.

I just bought the new Siri remote and the volume will not work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.