Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring Deleted Messages

Hello

I accidentally deleted the message library of a very close friend on my iphone, but the messages are still there on mac. How can I transfer them from Mac to my phone, before its too late?

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 9:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 2:46 PM

Since you don’t use iCloud to house your messages, they are stored on your latest iPhone backup. Restore that backup to retrieve the messages that were present when the backup was created.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

All this is completely independent of your Mac. The iPhone won’t affect the Mac and vice-versa.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2021 2:46 PM in response to Davidba731

Since you don’t use iCloud to house your messages, they are stored on your latest iPhone backup. Restore that backup to retrieve the messages that were present when the backup was created.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

All this is completely independent of your Mac. The iPhone won’t affect the Mac and vice-versa.

Jun 6, 2021 2:05 PM in response to Davidba731

Sorry but seem to missing something here so please pardon me. The messages / thread of messages are on the computer in the Application Messages. The thread of message in the iPhone Messages App were deleted. Have I got it right so far? Messages in iCloud was and is OFF on both devices. You what to get the Thread of messages from the Messages Application on computer over to the iPhone.

Honestly, do not see a way other than Enable iCloud Messages on both devices. Maybe some other Contributor has a better idea.

Jun 6, 2021 2:40 PM in response to PRP_53

Yes that’s it, for the first part. However, I did turn on iCloud syncing in panic mode on my phone after I deleted the messages, thinking it would help me restore them. When I saw it wasn’t working I immediately turned it off though. My concern is that if I turn on iCloud on Mac messages now, it might update and remove the messages.

Restoring Deleted Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.