Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

changing the administrator name

I set up comp for my son used his name on it well I ended up keeping it so I was gonna see if I can change it to my name thanks

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 8:07 PM

Hi thatguy-,

Grant Bennet-Alder has the safest advice here; just make a new administrator account.

In fact, if you want to start clean with the Mac (which I'd recommend if you don't need any of the current data on it), erase it and then reinstall macOS:

How to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

How to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

If you absolutely need to retain the old account but want to rename it, follow the below steps from Apple. Before completing them, create a new administrator account, log out of your current account, and then log in to the new administrator account.

FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD CAUSE DATA CORRUPTION.

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2021 8:07 PM in response to thatguy-

Hi thatguy-,

Grant Bennet-Alder has the safest advice here; just make a new administrator account.

In fact, if you want to start clean with the Mac (which I'd recommend if you don't need any of the current data on it), erase it and then reinstall macOS:

How to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

How to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

If you absolutely need to retain the old account but want to rename it, follow the below steps from Apple. Before completing them, create a new administrator account, log out of your current account, and then log in to the new administrator account.

FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD CAUSE DATA CORRUPTION.

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

changing the administrator name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.