Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating data from an old IMAC to a new one

I want to transfer my information from my old IMAC to a new one. The directions say to install all available software upgrades before migrating, but my 2013 IMAC is very slow on Catalina. It can't handle an upgrade. What do I do? Can I still use time machine and migration assistant?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 11:44 AM

You can try it - use your Time machine backup external drive and connect that. And, do it using Setup Assistant when it is offered during the initial setup. If you use Migration Assistant later, you will wind up with two user accounts and it'll be a mess trying to delete the duplicates.

Also note: check out your old third party apps as they will most likely not work with your new OS. They will either need updates or replacements.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2021 11:44 AM in response to Skymist

You can try it - use your Time machine backup external drive and connect that. And, do it using Setup Assistant when it is offered during the initial setup. If you use Migration Assistant later, you will wind up with two user accounts and it'll be a mess trying to delete the duplicates.

Also note: check out your old third party apps as they will most likely not work with your new OS. They will either need updates or replacements.

Migrating data from an old IMAC to a new one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.