Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Splitting a Photos Library

I like iCloud as a means to automatically backup pictures I take with my iPhone and being able to access them on my MacBook.

However, I don't need all my old pictures in iCloud, and don't want the relatively expensive 2TB monthly subscription. Also, I want a full resolution copy of my pictures locally, but am running out of of space on my MacBook.

To achieve this I want to create the following set-up but I don't know how best to go about it:

• Move all my older pictures to an external SSD that does not sync with iCloud
  • Keep only the last +- 2 years of pictures on my MacBook that does sync with iCloud
  • Every year, move one year of pictures from my MacBook/iCloud to the external SSD

I don't want to export my older pictures out of Photos. I want to being able to access them still via Photos.

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 2:09 PM

Hi 🙂

Exactly what I do. (Backup your library before starting - I use Time machine for this)

I copied the whole library to the external drive. Since this is intended to be an archive of all photos, I left it intact.

The source library synced in iCloud then has everything older than 1 year deleted (you can obviously choose the duration here). This library continues to sync with iCloud, so iCloud and other synced devices also get all older pics deleted.

Every few months I copy new images into the archive library using power photos (a paid app, but worth it, and pretty much the only way to make this work well.

I’m obsessive about backups. Both libraries are in time machine. I also export all originals as individual file to a network drive, so I have a backup of the masters external to photos. This backup is also copied to a removable drive for offsite backup (protection from fire/theft - I NEVER want to lose my pictures.)

The only problem with this approach is power photos cannot copy Face ID”s between libraries. So I do no manual work on this in the source/online library, just letting photos do whatever it does. Any manual Face ID work is only done on the archive library.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2021 2:09 PM in response to Dirkies

Hi 🙂

Exactly what I do. (Backup your library before starting - I use Time machine for this)

I copied the whole library to the external drive. Since this is intended to be an archive of all photos, I left it intact.

The source library synced in iCloud then has everything older than 1 year deleted (you can obviously choose the duration here). This library continues to sync with iCloud, so iCloud and other synced devices also get all older pics deleted.

Every few months I copy new images into the archive library using power photos (a paid app, but worth it, and pretty much the only way to make this work well.

I’m obsessive about backups. Both libraries are in time machine. I also export all originals as individual file to a network drive, so I have a backup of the masters external to photos. This backup is also copied to a removable drive for offsite backup (protection from fire/theft - I NEVER want to lose my pictures.)

The only problem with this approach is power photos cannot copy Face ID”s between libraries. So I do no manual work on this in the source/online library, just letting photos do whatever it does. Any manual Face ID work is only done on the archive library.

Jun 7, 2021 1:01 PM in response to Dirkies

Thanks, I would like all my pic save from this I phone to I cloud. Before time I pay monthly 60p,

or something more, So now I want same use this system, Because, I’m a learner, I have more lessons pic on photos album, so I need move from album to I cloud keep save all & will be free my phone memory , though are help learning lesions & English class & document.

Thanks to dear Apple support .

Splitting a Photos Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.