Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iOS 14.6 compatible with Mac OS 10.15.7

After upgrading to iOS 14.6 now I'm asked to upgrade my Mac from the latest 10.15.7 Catalina release in order to connect my device. Best I can tell, I'm on the latest of everything on Catalina. Just not running Big Sur.

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 11:11 AM

Sorry, but not entirely true. After contacting Apple Support and going around and around with them for several hours, rebooting in Safe-Mode to clear caches, running disk integrity checks, and reinstalling Catalina; I was finally told that yeah I have all the updates and needed to upgrade to Big Sur. However, after demanding to talk to a Senior Advisor, within minutes he told me this blind "A Software Update is Required to Connect..." message only referred to some USB driver updates Catalina needed to connect with iOS 14.6. Why in the world even after reloading the entire OS, it doesn't pickup the latest driver is a mystery that only Apple can answer.

So bottom line. Big Sur was not required. Just driver updates so it was safe to click on the "Install" button. It wouldn't send me down the Big Sur rabbit-hole. Better language in this error-message would have circumvented this entire ordeal.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2021 11:11 AM in response to melissa_m77

Sorry, but not entirely true. After contacting Apple Support and going around and around with them for several hours, rebooting in Safe-Mode to clear caches, running disk integrity checks, and reinstalling Catalina; I was finally told that yeah I have all the updates and needed to upgrade to Big Sur. However, after demanding to talk to a Senior Advisor, within minutes he told me this blind "A Software Update is Required to Connect..." message only referred to some USB driver updates Catalina needed to connect with iOS 14.6. Why in the world even after reloading the entire OS, it doesn't pickup the latest driver is a mystery that only Apple can answer.

So bottom line. Big Sur was not required. Just driver updates so it was safe to click on the "Install" button. It wouldn't send me down the Big Sur rabbit-hole. Better language in this error-message would have circumvented this entire ordeal.

Jun 8, 2021 10:54 AM in response to allensinmarietta

Hello there allensinmarietta,

We understand you're trying to connect your iPhone to your Mac, but it's asking for an update. Let's take a closer look as we do our best to provide some additional insight.

To get started, what reason are you trying to connect it? Are you trying to sync something in particular that you can't normally sync using iCloud or another feature? The reason we ask is if all available updates are installed for Catalina as described here: Apple security updates, then you may be required to upgrade to Big Sur for additional support: How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur

We hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction.

Take care.

Is iOS 14.6 compatible with Mac OS 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.