Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notification sound but no notification

For the past few months i have been Receiving notification sounds without a corresponding notification. The sound is the default iPhone tone called ‘note’. (The same on WhatsApp makes as a standard tone) have already checked my apps aren’t set to sounds only etc. I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this particular sound? Have seen a lot of people with random tri tone sounds but has anyone had the ‘note’ sound for no reason? (FYI it’s not even my chosen message tone but it is my WhatsApp sound even though no message there either. Hopefully I’m not the only one. iPhone 11 iOS 14.6

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 1:52 PM

2 replies

Jun 8, 2021 11:31 AM in response to Sueperbly

Hi Sueperbly,

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Community. It sounds like you aren't getting notifications on your iPhone, but are getting the sound. Let's see if this helps.

If it's only happening with one or a handful of apps, follow the steps in the section "If you don't see notifications for a specific app" in Use notifications on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Let's follow all the steps there including making sure Banners are enabled among other notification settings.

If the issue continues, make sure your apps are all up-to-date using the steps in How to manually update apps on your Apple device. You mentioned updating your iOS, app developers update their apps too after an iOS update. You'll want to ensure you're running the most compatible app with the software version you're running.

Are the time and date correct? Is it set to “Set Automatically” in Settings > General > Date & Time? Incorrect Date & Time settings for Notifications can affect how Notifications are delivered.

Do you use a VPN? If so, try turning the VPN off and seeing if you get a notification. VPN's might affect your ability to receive notifications.

If the issue remains after those steps, do a quick test and ask someone you know and who has messaged you before (not a new person) to message you and see if you get a notification from that person. Also, be sure to let us know the names of any other apps this is happening with or if it's just WhatsApp. 

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

Jun 8, 2021 11:43 AM in response to rose_10

Thanks for the response but I don’t use VPN, I get notifications 95% of the time normally. Only get the odd message that comes through on normal text message from one contact only where I don’t always get notified of the new message. it has happened with that sound and also I have received notification sounds from Facebook messenger without a message being there. I understand these are not Apple products however I am aware people are having the same issue on this forum but for some reason won’t let me reply to a lot of them. I just want to know if the other people are experiencing the same sounds as me.

the first sound I heard was around October time and that was the Facebook messenger “ping” I had been very active on the app all day that day but hadn’t received a message when I got the ping noise. Don’t know if it was because I had been using a lot that day?

the second time I heard a sound was when I got home from work in January and I heard the default iPhone sound called “note” which isn’t set to anything iam aware of apart from my WhatsApp but no message was there. Hadn’t received a WhatsApp message that day since 2pm and this was after 6pm when the noise went. I had however been engaging in Facebook messenger group chats and looking back I had messages from around the time I heard the alert but this is not facebook messengers alert tone. The other app I had a notifcation from around that time was the duolingo app but they use their own sound too.

Notification sound but no notification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.