You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finding the user password expiration date

On a linux system you can see (and change) the user password expiry information with the command chage. That command is not available on macOS. It seems the replacement is pwpolicy, but I can't get it to work. I've tried various ways like pwpolicy -getglobalpolicy or pwpolicy -u username -getaccountpolicies but nothing is returning useful information. I have tried it with and without sudo.

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 2:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 8:49 AM

This basically solved my problem. Here is an ugly line to get the passwordLastSetTime and translate it to a date:

date -r `dscl . -read $HOME | /usr/bin/grep -A1 passwordLastSetTime | grep -o -E '[0-9]+' | head -n 1`

In my corporate environment, pwpolicy -getglobalpolicy doesn't work for me, but the following line does:

pwpolicy getaccountpolicies | grep -A1 \>policyAttributeExpiresEveryNDays

So, a little bit more date calculation and I can figure out when the password will expire.

Thank you!

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 11, 2021 8:49 AM in response to BobHarris

This basically solved my problem. Here is an ugly line to get the passwordLastSetTime and translate it to a date:

date -r `dscl . -read $HOME | /usr/bin/grep -A1 passwordLastSetTime | grep -o -E '[0-9]+' | head -n 1`

In my corporate environment, pwpolicy -getglobalpolicy doesn't work for me, but the following line does:

pwpolicy getaccountpolicies | grep -A1 \>policyAttributeExpiresEveryNDays

So, a little bit more date calculation and I can figure out when the password will expire.

Thank you!

Jun 7, 2021 6:49 PM in response to ashepster

Try

dscl . -read $HOME | /usr/bin/grep -C2 passwordLastSetTime

to get when the password was last set (some parsing of output will be needed)

<key>passwordLastSetTime</key>
	<real>1616603182.8288069</real>

Try

pwpolicy -getglobalpolicy | grep -C2 policyAttributeExpiresEveryNDays

to get password policyAttributeExpiresEveryNDays

<key>policyAttributeExpiresEveryNDays</key>
				<integer>90</integer>

Then do the math. Not fun, as you may have to work in seconds and days.

Jun 7, 2021 6:05 PM in response to ashepster

I just tried the following (without "sudo") on macOS Catalina and it returned the information:

pwpolicy -u test --get-effective-policy

and it returned:

isDisabled=false newPasswordRequired=false

The "man" page for "pwpolicy" does mention these older style options are deprecated and you are supposed to use the "Account Policies" options of the "pwpolicy" command. I did not attempt to test using the command line to modify the settings as I don't want to break anything on my Mac.

Is this your own personal Mac or is it being managed by a school or business that may restrict access to some of these items?

I did find this thread which also mentions these things:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/287217/how-to-force-the-mac-to-not-expire-passwords

Jun 7, 2021 8:39 PM in response to ashepster

Unless you set them up, there is likely not a password expiry date since the default is to never expire.

i’m pretty sure you set those up through profiles made with Apple‘s mobile device management (MDM) tools, but you can do it with https://support.addigy.com/support/solutions/articles/8000051423-applying-a-password-policy-to-macos-devices-using-a-script

Finding the user password expiration date

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.