Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I try to make a purchase it won’t let me use my gift card that is showing up. Why?

I added a apple gift card and now it won’t let me make purchases from apps. I have money left on the card but it wants me to enter a credit card instead of letting me use my apple gift card money. When I select the option with the balance it wants me to redeem more cards. What do I do?

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 4:37 PM

Did you set up your Apple ID originally without entering a credit card? If you did, were you able to download free apps or use your gift cards to make purchases?

Create or use an Apple ID without a payment method - Apple Support

If you already created an Apple ID and did not follow the proper method to set it up without using a credit card, you have to have a valid payment method on file even if you want to download free content or use gift cards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2021 4:37 PM in response to Joshuatruitt

Did you set up your Apple ID originally without entering a credit card? If you did, were you able to download free apps or use your gift cards to make purchases?

Create or use an Apple ID without a payment method - Apple Support

If you already created an Apple ID and did not follow the proper method to set it up without using a credit card, you have to have a valid payment method on file even if you want to download free content or use gift cards.

When I try to make a purchase it won’t let me use my gift card that is showing up. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.