Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WatchOS 7.5 stops music fully when timer ends, or Siri activated. Does not resume automatically.

Prior to the release of WatchOS 7.5, when the timer would end, Siri activated, or a phone call came in, the music playing through AirPods would pause, and automatically restart after “Ending” the timer, silencing/ending Siri, ending the phone call. I use my watch timer when at the gym; and keep my phone with me to listen to my music downloaded on iTunes (not the Apple Music pandora service thing). But ever since watchOS 7.5 was released, now when the timer ends (the radar alarm alerts), if Siri is activated by pressing the crown, or a phone call comes in, the music stops like it did before, but it does not resume anymore. I have to go in to the music app and press “play” again to restart the song.

I’ve done hard resets on both watch and phone. I unpaired the watch and set it up as new again (at the recommendation of Apple Support). I’ve reset all settings on my phone (at the recommendation of Apple Support). None of this has fixed the failure to auto-resume the music playing.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any help in fixing and getting auto-resume to reinstate? I can’t find a toggle in settings anywhere, and Apple claims there isn’t one anyway.

super annoying.

I'm using an Apple Watch 6, an iPhone 12 Pro Max, and AirPods Pro

Apple Watch Hermes

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 9:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 9:41 AM

Does anyone at Apple workout?

or if you do, does anyone uses Apple Watch to time rests between exercises?

I have a one minute time span between each exercise and it’s terribly annoying having my song paused every time the timer goes off!

I can’t believe there’s been years since the launch of Apple Watch and no one has ever thought of a setting that would prevent the music from pausing at all!

it would be amazing to just chose to have vibration only timer, and enjoy my workout without music interruption.

how much would this cost to apple? One line of code??

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2021 9:41 AM in response to sterling r

Does anyone at Apple workout?

or if you do, does anyone uses Apple Watch to time rests between exercises?

I have a one minute time span between each exercise and it’s terribly annoying having my song paused every time the timer goes off!

I can’t believe there’s been years since the launch of Apple Watch and no one has ever thought of a setting that would prevent the music from pausing at all!

it would be amazing to just chose to have vibration only timer, and enjoy my workout without music interruption.

how much would this cost to apple? One line of code??

Jun 10, 2021 4:32 PM in response to mingoslkd

Thanks

Admittedly, I'm hesitant to waste my time there again, seeing as how I spent half a day on and off the phone with Apple Support trying to fix the issue. He was the one who had me unpair-set-up-as-new my watch again; then had me "reset all settings" on my phone. Not erase all content and settings and set up the phone as new. Though, re-setting up my phone with everything as it was, short of following the set up guide with an actual new phone setup; was time consuming all the same.

The support rep had to hang up and call me back several times, so that we could test the timer issue, as well as the resuming of the music after a call comes in. None of these were effective. That's why I posted to the community. I wanted to see if anyone else was having these same issues after the latest software update. And/Or how they managed to fix the issue.

As annoying as it was that the music paused when the alarm went off, or whatever interruption came about, at least the music Resumed playing as soon as the alarm was silenced, the call was ended, Siri completed her task, etc. But now, I have to keep going back into the music app to start the music all over again. Every time.

Jun 8, 2021 4:08 PM in response to ACuculich

Hello ACuculich,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We see that you are having issues with your music pausing when your timer goes off and not resuming after updating your software.

We’d be happy to help!

Is the timer going off from your Watch or your AirPods directly?

Are you playing the music from your Watch initially?

Have a great day.

Jun 8, 2021 4:08 PM in response to ACuculich

Hello ACuculich,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We see that you are having issues with your music pausing when your timer goes off and not resuming after updating your software.

We’d be happy to help!

Is the timer going off from your Watch or your AirPods directly?

Are you playing the music from your Watch initially?

Have a great day.

Jul 10, 2021 3:18 PM in response to rodrigo04

I would take the music pause when the alarm goes off, over the complete full stop to the playing music. I have to go into the music app to start playing the music again after the alarm goes off, or a call comes in, or if I trigger Siri by pressing the crown, during my workouts. Before, once you closed Siri, ended the call, or ended the alarm, the music would start again automatically. This no longer happens.

Jul 28, 2021 8:24 AM in response to rodrigo04

Man

I have the same issue, it's really bothersome to experience this, I've been checking older discussions and seems like the only workaround we have for now is turning off the bluetooth of the watch, this I fear will disconnect the watch from the phone so when the timer goes off it won't turn off phone's music.

I know it sucks but i'd rather that than going back and forth tapping play on music.

Jul 28, 2021 12:57 PM in response to Batamayo59

I used to not have the issue. Before watchOS 7.5, when the timer went off, the music paused. When I hit “Stop”, the music would automatically resume. Same with when a phone call came in; or if I accidentally hit the crown long enough to activate siri. With WatchOS 7.5, and newer, now those interruptions full stop the music. Whether I’m using the music from my iPhone, or just the downloaded playlist on my watch.

Jul 29, 2021 2:06 PM in response to ACuculich

I’m sure it’s a glitch and far from an actual fix (or secret fix in some update in the last week)

but, my music is not stopping at all when my watch timer ends. No pause. No stop. Just keeps playing while the end alert/vibrate/alarm goes off. I “end” the timer, and the music is still playing.

like I said, I’m sure that this is a glitch while I’m here at the gym, and when I stop the music and take out my AirPod Pros, the normal Music-stop action will resume tomorrow.

if not, Props to Apple for fixing the issue and aiding the fitness community using Music, Timers and other apps simultaneously without interruption.

WatchOS 7.5 stops music fully when timer ends, or Siri activated. Does not resume automatically.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.