Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an external hard drive with my iPad? If so, what company and model do you recommend?

Can I use an external hard drive with my iPad? If so, what company and model do you recommend?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi, Cell

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 10:55 AM

iPadOS provides limited support for external Hard Disk storage.

An external HDD can be connected to your iPad with the Apple adapter appropriate for your model of iPad - if the HDD is both partitioned and formatted appropriately (i.e., a single partition - formatted as FAT32, exFAT, APFS or HFS+). 

You should also note that the iPad is not capable of providing sufficient power to run an HDD. If the HDD does not have its own source of power - then external power must be supplied to the HDD using a connecting adapter (e.g., an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter and Apple Charger of at least 12W) - or by connecting both the iPad and HDD to a powered USB hub.

If you iPad has Lightning Port, you will require a Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

If you have a 2020 iPad Air4, or a 2018/2020 model of iPad Pro with a USB-C port, you will in all likelihood need to connect both your iPad and HDD to a powered USB Hub with appropriate USB cables.

I hope you find this to be helpful in providing some useful clarity.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2021 10:55 AM in response to DanDuthie

iPadOS provides limited support for external Hard Disk storage.

An external HDD can be connected to your iPad with the Apple adapter appropriate for your model of iPad - if the HDD is both partitioned and formatted appropriately (i.e., a single partition - formatted as FAT32, exFAT, APFS or HFS+). 

You should also note that the iPad is not capable of providing sufficient power to run an HDD. If the HDD does not have its own source of power - then external power must be supplied to the HDD using a connecting adapter (e.g., an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter and Apple Charger of at least 12W) - or by connecting both the iPad and HDD to a powered USB hub.

If you iPad has Lightning Port, you will require a Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

If you have a 2020 iPad Air4, or a 2018/2020 model of iPad Pro with a USB-C port, you will in all likelihood need to connect both your iPad and HDD to a powered USB Hub with appropriate USB cables.

I hope you find this to be helpful in providing some useful clarity.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.