Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storage is full

So I just learned that iPhone storage and iCloud storage are different. My iPhone’s storage is too full to download the next upgrade. First, I bought more iCloud storage thinking it would resolve this issue. Then tried to delete some apps I was not using and they would not delete. I deleted pictures that were in messages and attachments but still don’t have enough storage.

The big question, I don’t need all the pictures I have (many of them) but would like to keep my pictures in the iCloud since I have a lot of storage there. When I try to delete a picture, it says it will be deleted out of iCloud too. Is there a way to keep pictures in the iCloud but delete them from the iPhone? And will it help to resolve my storage issues?

Thank you for your help.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 3:54 PM

No. iCloud Photo Library is specifically for syncing across multiple devices so any actions done on one happens on all + iCloud.

Can you delete apps from Settings > General > iPhone Storage > select the app > Delete App?

What is using your storage, can you share with us a screen of the breakdown?

1 reply

Storage is full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.