Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My photos have disappeared

Years ago I transferred photos from my phone to my Macbook to free up space. Every so often I go through them for fun, and have as recently as April 2021. Tried to find some old photos this last week and every single photo seems to be gone from my computer now. They're not in my Photos Library, Photos, or Pictures folder. It's as if they just disappeared

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 7:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 12:41 AM

Do you mean you have an empty library (Every single photo gone) or are you just talking about the photos you transferred years ago that are missing.

First check the "showing" filter to right to make sure you haven't got a selection that would exclude this pictures.

How do you normally find these images? Are you looking in the all photos view? Or in a particular album?

Can you try a smart album with the condition - camera model - includes - (name of the old phone)

Is it possible you have more than one library, and are looking at one that doesn't have those images in? Hold down the option key while starting photos. In the resulting pane, is there more than one library listed? If so open each in turn to see if your missing photos are there.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2021 12:41 AM in response to micholas288

Do you mean you have an empty library (Every single photo gone) or are you just talking about the photos you transferred years ago that are missing.

First check the "showing" filter to right to make sure you haven't got a selection that would exclude this pictures.

How do you normally find these images? Are you looking in the all photos view? Or in a particular album?

Can you try a smart album with the condition - camera model - includes - (name of the old phone)

Is it possible you have more than one library, and are looking at one that doesn't have those images in? Hold down the option key while starting photos. In the resulting pane, is there more than one library listed? If so open each in turn to see if your missing photos are there.

My photos have disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.