Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview APP Failure

When I highlight some sentences in a PDF at the Preview, it sometimes will highlight the whole page, and I cannot undo/delete the highlight. Some advice?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 2:32 AM

Sometimes the PDF gets created in chunks of text that don’t necessarily flow along the sentence structure. When you try to highlight across one of those boundaries, it can flow to another block of text not inline with the first part of the selection.

If you create a PDF from a Pages, TextEdit, Word, etc. document, do you run into the same problem with highlighting it?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2021 2:32 AM in response to Chloe_Sun

Sometimes the PDF gets created in chunks of text that don’t necessarily flow along the sentence structure. When you try to highlight across one of those boundaries, it can flow to another block of text not inline with the first part of the selection.

If you create a PDF from a Pages, TextEdit, Word, etc. document, do you run into the same problem with highlighting it?

Jun 9, 2021 10:58 PM in response to Barney-15E

First of all, thank you for replying to me. I haven't created a PDF from Pages or others so far, but the thing is even if I selected the whole page, these highlights can be deleted, right? But instead there were some blanks left, like in the picture. I tried to delete them by tapping at the Highlights panel, it didn't work. Anyway, it's no big deal, just a bit annoying.

Jun 10, 2021 5:36 AM in response to Chloe_Sun

Yes, you should still be able to remove the highlighting.

I don't think I see what you are trying to describe in the screenshot. Are the purple-ish line segments what was highlighted? If it is those, that is a good example of how the PDF was constructed with different parts in different cells, and that may be why it extended across all of the adjacent parts to the bottom of the page.

I guess it doesn't matter what was highlighted, as I'm not sure how to remove them if the normal method doesn't work.

Preview APP Failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.