Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Crashes when attaching external SSD to built-in USB port

When attempting to attach an external SDD to a Mac mini (2018) running Big Sur (11.4), the operating crashes and restarts. Curiously, this doesn't happen every time.

The disk has an APFS container with several volumes including an encrypted Time Machine backup volume.

Has anyone had a similar experience and, if so, is there a workaround other than shutting down the computer before attaching the external drive?

- Pie Lover

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 6:02 AM

Unfortunately, using diskutil alone to eject (even with sudo) did not work consistently. The screenshot below indicates that a volume is in use despite all of the container volumes being unmounted.

There may be interaction with Spotlight indexing that prevents the disk from being ejected. Fiddling with the privacy tab in the Spotlight Preference panel seemed to help in some cases.

Here is some advice from an Apple article on this topic:

If you can’t eject an external disk or storage device

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Log Out, then log in again. Try to eject the disk again.
    2. If you still can’t eject the disk, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down. Disconnect the disk from your computer, then start up your computer again.

- Pie Lover

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2021 6:02 AM in response to BlueberryLover

Unfortunately, using diskutil alone to eject (even with sudo) did not work consistently. The screenshot below indicates that a volume is in use despite all of the container volumes being unmounted.

There may be interaction with Spotlight indexing that prevents the disk from being ejected. Fiddling with the privacy tab in the Spotlight Preference panel seemed to help in some cases.

Here is some advice from an Apple article on this topic:

If you can’t eject an external disk or storage device

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Log Out, then log in again. Try to eject the disk again.
    2. If you still can’t eject the disk, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down. Disconnect the disk from your computer, then start up your computer again.

- Pie Lover

Jun 12, 2021 9:46 AM in response to a brody

Thanks. I believe that eject should automatically unmount any affected volumes.

As mentioned, I suspect Spotlight indexing especially with regards to the indexing of Time Machine backups. Ejecting the (top level) disk should work once (mds) indexing has completed.

I also noticed that I am able to eject immediately after recreating the Time Machine APFS volume on the external disk.

Ultimately, the best approach may be to shut down the machine prior to connecting or disconnecting an external (USB) drive.

- Pie Lover

Jun 10, 2021 4:34 PM in response to BlueberryLover

Based on a few tests, ejecting the SSD device may help alleviate crashes stemming from physically disconnecting the drive. While I wasn't always successful ejecting with Disk Utility, I was able to use Terminal from an admin account (sudo diskutil eject /dev/diskname (replace diskname with the one listed as Physical Store by diskutil list external)).

- Pie Lover

Disk Utility Error Message

Jun 12, 2021 10:15 AM in response to BlueberryLover

BlueberryLover wrote:

Thanks. I believe that eject should automatically unmount any affected volumes.

As mentioned, I suspect Spotlight indexing especially with regards to the indexing of Time Machine backups. Ejecting the (top level) disk should work once (mds) indexing has completed.

I also noticed that I am able to eject immediately after recreating the Time Machine APFS volume on the external disk.

Ultimately, the best approach may be to shut down the machine prior to connecting or disconnecting an external (USB) drive.

- Pie Lover

Something is not right here. I use that same Samsung T5 SSD with a 2019 16-inch Macbook Pro with no such issues. I use it for making and updating backup "clones" (mirrors the entire internal drive of the Macbook Pro) and I can simply eject from the Finder immediately after using it, without allowing mds or Spotlight to finish (the drive is not excluded from Spotlight, so it indexes it when it is allowed to, but ejects immediately when told to).

One question: are you using any of Samsung's proprietary software or drivers with these external drives? If so, they add additional complications to the interaction and could be causing the problem. It is best to use them as vanilla Apple-formatted drives without special third party drivers, software etc.

One of your screenshots shows multiple external T5 and it appears that you are using them to hold both Time Machine backups as well as external drive version of different MacOS, on the same physical drive? Do you have the problem when only one of the T5 is connected? Does the refusal to eject happen after specific activity, e.g. backups, something else?

You should consider downloading Etrecheck and posting the results here, people will look through what is installed and may be able to help you by finding something that conflicts.

Jun 12, 2021 1:05 PM in response to steve626

Thanks Steve.

I had been using Samsung's T5 software (updated for Big Sur) but per your suggestion I've since removed it to see if the Samsung s/w is related to this issue.

Yes, you're correct. I have two T5 external drives each one hosting a Time Machine backup volume. Initially, I noticed problems ejecting each of the disks but more recently only saw the issue on the disk with the older versions of macOS. I haven't noticed any particular activity that correlates with this issue.

I took a quick look a EtreCheck to see if there were major issues. I didn't see any but noticed some minor issues stemming from the upgrades from Mojave to Catalina to Big Sur (e.g. obsolete Adobe updater tasks).

- Pie Lover

P.S. I was able to eject the disk exhibiting the issue after removing the Samsung s/w, Thanks for the tip.

Jun 13, 2021 6:22 AM in response to BlueberryLover

After a few more tests, it seems that the Samsung Portable SSD Software for the T5 is the culprit. The SSD seems to work properly using Apple-only software. On the plus side, I can now eject my T5 SDD without problem.

Thanks again to Steve for the suggestion.

- Pie Lover

P.S. The Time Machine feature which permits multiple volumes to be used in a round robin fashion enables more robust backup strategies. In my case, I disconnect one of the backup drives after each backup to facilitate recovery in case of a ransomware attack.

Big Sur Crashes when attaching external SSD to built-in USB port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.