Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi, what about airplay, can stream apple lossless music via airplay?

The question is, can I stream apple lossless music to airplay compatible device?

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 1:45 PM

I had confirmation today from the tech support team that Airplay does support Apple Music's new lower tier lossless (CD spec 16 bit 44.1KHz).

Ironically this is the ALAC conversion data rate that Airplay performs on all compressed formats like AAC so it should be a no-brainer that it will directly stream the lower tier ALAC lossless format. HOWEVER, this is not the case and so it seems that even tech support are unaware of the actual status of Airplay's ability right now.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2021 1:45 PM in response to Leanne_68

I had confirmation today from the tech support team that Airplay does support Apple Music's new lower tier lossless (CD spec 16 bit 44.1KHz).

Ironically this is the ALAC conversion data rate that Airplay performs on all compressed formats like AAC so it should be a no-brainer that it will directly stream the lower tier ALAC lossless format. HOWEVER, this is not the case and so it seems that even tech support are unaware of the actual status of Airplay's ability right now.

Jun 10, 2021 9:55 AM in response to martti144

Hi martti144,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you have questions about lossless audio and we would be happy to help! We also see that you checked out the Apple Support article About lossless audio in Apple Music. As stated in that support article, lossless requires a wired connection. Wireless connections such as AirPlay or Bluetooth are not supported at this time.

Have a good day. 

Jun 10, 2021 10:05 AM in response to martti144

While Airplay can currently handle lossless CD quality, and has done for some time (eg a CD ripped to ALAC or lossless CD Quality file), there are some reports that Apple Music still sends 256kbps lossy AAC over Airplay when playing back a lossless title.

Airplay 2 is supposedly capable of above CD quality lossless playback, but the ecosystem doesn't seem to allow it as yet - let's hope Apple only have to tweak something in software to allows this.

Jun 13, 2021 8:27 AM in response to iar999

Agreed, we need more transparency with the AirPlay 2 protocol, and how it handles Apple Music ALAC streaming, local ALAC files, and other Lossless sources (like FLAC from Amazon). The OP was vague, but the use case I’m helping someone with is: Ethernet wired Mac playing to Ethernet wired AirPort Express or Ethernet wired AirPlay 2 DAC. To me this should be Lossless AirPlay 2 over Ethernet with all sources (though he’s only interested in Apple Music). People (especially Apple) need to consider that AirPlay 2 isn’t just a wireless protocol.

Hi, what about airplay, can stream apple lossless music via airplay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.