Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using an older I mac as a monitor to a MacbookPro

i have a question about connecting an I mac 11,3 (2010) to use as a monitor, to a Macbook pro 10,1 (mid 2012). The I mac is running High sierra and the MBP is running Mojave. What sort of cable should i use? There is an article in apple communities stating i need a mini display port cable. if i use a mini display cable to HDMI would it work? I am asking because its really hard to find such a cable in Greece.

any help would be much appreciated

Thank you

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 8:56 AM

7 replies

Jun 9, 2021 9:09 AM in response to leonisg

leonisg wrote:

i have a question about connecting an I mac 11,3 (2010) to use as a monitor, to a Macbook pro 10,1 (mid 2012). The I mac is running High sierra and the MBP is running Mojave. What sort of cable should i use? There is an article in apple communities stating i need a mini display port cable. if i use a mini display cable to HDMI would it work? I am asking because its really hard to find such a cable in Greece.

any help would be much appreciated

Thank you

No this will not work.

Jun 9, 2021 9:31 AM in response to leonisg

i have a question about connecting an I mac 11,3 (2010) to use as a monitor, to a Macbook pro 10,1 (mid 2012).

Actually that combo should work. The hardware meets the requirements as do the macOS versions.

if i use a mini display cable to HDMI would it work?

Probably not.

I successfully connected my Mid-2012 MBP 9,2 to a 2010 iMac 27 via target display mode. You need a mini-display-port (MDP) cable--that's all. Use the MDP/Thunderbolt 1 port on the MacBook Pro and the MDP port on the iMac. Should work without issue, and an MDP cable is cheaper and easier to find.

Using an older I mac as a monitor to a MacbookPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.