Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine failed to back up

Time Machine keeps returning an error "Couldn't complete the back up" "An error ocurred while copying files." I followed all the instructions on the help page - run disk utility (nothing to repair), make sure the firmware is updated for the external drive, erase the drive, re-run Time Machine - and the error still occurs. It looks like it moved 5.5GB of data which must be just about everything. How to I find out which files are causing the error? Will I still be able to use these Time Machine files to restore if I need to?

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 4:54 PM

7 replies

Jun 9, 2021 8:20 PM in response to krregt

Hi krregt!

Believe it or not, it could be even one damaged file or directory jamming the process up.

It sounds like you’ve already followed this:

If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204157

So if that’s the case, I just gave a few questions:

Were you able to backup before on the same external drive before this started happening?

If so, what changed from when it was working, to not working?

Can you say the available storage of the external and internal HD’s?

Apple > About This Mac > Storage.

Likewise, do you use this same external drive for other purposes, such as storage, etc. and do you use it on other machines? Whether Mac or PC?

And finally what’s the brand of the drive and how is it formatted?:

You can open Disk Utility to check, just press Command and the Space bar to pull up Spotlight Search, type Disk Utility and hit Return.

Next hit View > Show All Devices, can you post a screen shot after selecting the external disk and volume(s) of the external and even internal drives? (The disk is the top level, the volumes, or partitions are the underneath the disks).

Depending on those answers:

Are there other external hard drives connected to your Mac besides the one used for Time Machine? I ask, because Time Machine can also backup other external drives that are also connected to your Mac. (This might be a network drive, such as a Time Capsule or WD, if so just let us know).

Depending, you can exclude entire directories or files from backing up, such as system files and Applications, sometimes when this is done, it backs up just fine.

These options are available in System Preferences > Time Machine > Options. From there you can exclude files from being backed up.

Say it works fine after excluding Applications, (Or even one application or file), then the Apps, or this file is the cause of the problem.

There are a few directions to go, but I think knowing those answers is key to fixing it, cheers!

Jun 13, 2021 3:35 PM in response to DiZoE

I tried to go through and delete all the old apps that are no longer compatible with Catalina, but it still fails. I didn't know what to messy with is the systems files and so left that alone. If you've got other thoughts, that would be great, but in the end, I'm OK with not backing up the system files and apps.

Jun 13, 2021 10:08 PM in response to krregt

Hey again!

No worries!

You could go through the Console and /Logs for the “backupd” process, Etc. But if it’s working, I wouldn’t mess with those, as you may have to do a full reset of your Mac to fix that. I’d suggest removing Apps and System Files from the Time Machine list again, then adding them piece by piece to test, but that would take some time and patience.

One thing I may check is:

Apple > About This Mac > System Report, (Under Software), > Extensions.

Once they load, click on “Obtained From” just once, then scroll to the bottom of the list.

The majority of Extensions will say, “Apple”, however at the bottom you’ll see the third party Extensions, which may say:

Identified Developer

Unsigned

Unknown

If you click on the each, it will show the path to the file below, usually they are in:

Macintosh HD > Library > Extensions.

For the “Unsigned” and Unknown” Extensions, it may be a good idea to find and delete those, then restart your Mac. I’d see if it backs up then. (Of course, you’d need to include the Apps and System Files again first), but this would be just a test. If it works, great! Anyhow, best of luck!

Time Machine failed to back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.