Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked Phone

Good morning,

I have a quick question regarding a iPhone. My mother in law just recently passed away and we have her iPhone. Her carrier was through Sprint and we called paid he account off and they told us we do not have to turn the phone it, it is ours to keep. Problem is the phone was locked through Apple when we were tiring to figure out her lock code. How do we go about getting the phone unlocked so we can use? We are looking at using it for my son.

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 7:12 AM

Apple did not lock the phone. The phone will become disabled when you enter an incorrect passcode too many times. That is a feature of iOS. You can look at this for instructions for unlocking the phone. You will need a computer for this.

If you forgot the passcode on your iPhone, or your iPhone is disabled - Apple Support

You will also need your MIL’s credentials in order to remove activation lock. If you can’t remove activation lock, the phone will be useless to you.

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

You should probably check this out as well.

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2021 7:12 AM in response to DevBishop

Apple did not lock the phone. The phone will become disabled when you enter an incorrect passcode too many times. That is a feature of iOS. You can look at this for instructions for unlocking the phone. You will need a computer for this.

If you forgot the passcode on your iPhone, or your iPhone is disabled - Apple Support

You will also need your MIL’s credentials in order to remove activation lock. If you can’t remove activation lock, the phone will be useless to you.

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

You should probably check this out as well.

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support

Locked Phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.