Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wi-fi on iMac

Of the items on wi-fi, only my iMac disconnects randomly - I can get it back by turning wi-fi off in the upper menu which cases wi-fi to turn on at least briefly.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 11:39 AM

Your description indicates a DNS issue. I recommend that you stop using your ISP's default DNS settings and begin using a third party's such as Google.

How do I change DNS on Mac?

1. System Preferences
  2. Network
  3. Click Advanced. 
  4. Click the DNS tab
  5. Click the little + sign at the lower left to add a new DNS server
  6. Type in the numbers of a public DNS server (see our suggestions in the Windows section above)
  7. Click OK
  8. Click Apply

8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 = GoogleDNS

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2021 11:39 AM in response to SADON2

Your description indicates a DNS issue. I recommend that you stop using your ISP's default DNS settings and begin using a third party's such as Google.

How do I change DNS on Mac?

1. System Preferences
  2. Network
  3. Click Advanced. 
  4. Click the DNS tab
  5. Click the little + sign at the lower left to add a new DNS server
  6. Type in the numbers of a public DNS server (see our suggestions in the Windows section above)
  7. Click OK
  8. Click Apply

8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 = GoogleDNS

Jun 10, 2021 11:36 AM in response to SADON2

Which band are you using to connect to your wireless router (A/B/G/N/AC/AX) ?

Is your router handling other traffic that may interfere with your iMac's WLAN card?

If you are connecting using 2.4GHz - are you using any other 2.4GHz devices such as bluetooth ?

Microwave ovens have the ability to disrupt WiFi.

Check DNS in Network - you may have to point to a different DNS server.

wi-fi on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.