Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook Pro 16(2019) SLOWS DOWN when I add a second monitor

I've always used a Wacom Cintiq with my laptops and I've never had a problem until a month ago. Now my MBP thermal throttles to the point that I can barely use photoshop or After Effects. In order to find the answer, I factory reset my computer, then reset the PRAM, and just reset the SMC.

When I plug in my Cintiq, I can only use it for about an hour before my computer starts to perform unusually slowly.

for the record, i've got a

16" MBP 2019

2.4 Ghz 8Core intel i9

64 Gb 2667 Mhz DDR4

AMD Radeon pro 5500M 8 Gb

with 1.5 Tb free on my harddrive

Is this happening to anyone else?

I think my next step is to revert back to an old OS. will that solve anything though?

I'm kind of at a loss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 11:16 AM

This computer was built with a ninth generation 14nm Intel processor. The only way to meet the target performance was to make it a six or eight core processor. This processor generates an enormous burst of heat when it does Turbo Boost, and there is only one cooling rail shared by both the CPU and GPU. So getting Either side too hot ramps up the fans.

This processor was supposed to be an eleventh-generation 7nm processor, but intel is three years late, and is only starting to ship its tenth generation 10nm processors now.

Apple DID redesign the cooling system for this specific Mac. New, high-efficiency fans are used. But for some uses, that is still not enough.

Some of the best advice is to install Turbo Boost Switcher and turn off CPU Turbo Boost. This reduces the huge sudden overheating brought on by Turbo Boost, that simply does not translate into real-world performance gains.

For external displays, changing away from HDMI to DisplayPort family (or to DisplayPort over ThunderBolt or USB-C) will reduce the Voltages and slightly reduce the heat generated. It is a good thing to do, but it may not be enough to solve this issue by itself.

How to fix your 16-in MacBook Pro (Don’t return it!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkmdHVfk4XE

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2021 11:16 AM in response to StephenHalker

This computer was built with a ninth generation 14nm Intel processor. The only way to meet the target performance was to make it a six or eight core processor. This processor generates an enormous burst of heat when it does Turbo Boost, and there is only one cooling rail shared by both the CPU and GPU. So getting Either side too hot ramps up the fans.

This processor was supposed to be an eleventh-generation 7nm processor, but intel is three years late, and is only starting to ship its tenth generation 10nm processors now.

Apple DID redesign the cooling system for this specific Mac. New, high-efficiency fans are used. But for some uses, that is still not enough.

Some of the best advice is to install Turbo Boost Switcher and turn off CPU Turbo Boost. This reduces the huge sudden overheating brought on by Turbo Boost, that simply does not translate into real-world performance gains.

For external displays, changing away from HDMI to DisplayPort family (or to DisplayPort over ThunderBolt or USB-C) will reduce the Voltages and slightly reduce the heat generated. It is a good thing to do, but it may not be enough to solve this issue by itself.

How to fix your 16-in MacBook Pro (Don’t return it!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkmdHVfk4XE

Jun 11, 2021 4:59 PM in response to StephenHalker

Hi StephenHalker,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It's understood that you experience issues with your MacBook Pro when it's connected to your external monitor. Does your Mac ever run slowly when it's not connected to the monitor? Does this only happen when using these two apps? If so, take a look at the following article and let us know if this helps.

If your Mac runs slowly

Kind regards.

My macbook Pro 16(2019) SLOWS DOWN when I add a second monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.