Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi I am running a OS X version 10.9.5 on my imac. software it says is up to date. how do I upgrade to a newer os system?

Hi I am running an os x version 10.9.5 on my Imac. How do I upgrade to a newer version os?

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 6:29 AM

7 replies

Jun 11, 2021 9:00 AM in response to savage001

Be aware that if you upgrade past 10.14 "Mojave," most of your older apps will not work. Mojave was the last OS to run legacy 32-bit apps, like old versions of Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud and any version of MS Office older than Office 2016.

IF you upgrade to 10.15 Catalina or macOS 11 Big Sur, your will need to first see if thei developers developed 64-bit updates of their 32-bit apps you use. If they do not, you will have to repurchase or find a different app to do the same tasks. Many classic Mac games were never converted to 64-bit. They will be unusable.

To find what 32-bit apps you have, this tool is helpful:

https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/

You can get the same information from the System Information utility on your Mac but the report is more cluttered and and harder to read.

Hi I am running a OS X version 10.9.5 on my imac. software it says is up to date. how do I upgrade to a newer os system?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.