Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

downloaded files take a while to appear on desktop for uploading

Ever since upgrading to big sur, when I download a file from an ftp site to my desktop, and then go to a website to upload the file, it takes about 30 to 50 seconds for the file to appear in the window (showing my desktop where the files exist) where I am supposed to select the file for upload.

Prior to big sur, my files could instantaneously be seen and selected when downloaded to my desktop.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? It's a tremendous waste of time since I do a lot of uploading in my job.

Thanks!

Mac mini, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 7:24 AM

inky55 wrote:

Ever since upgrading to big sur, when I download a file from an ftp site to my desktop, and then go to a website to upload the file, it takes about 30 to 50 seconds for the file to appear in the window (showing my desktop where the files exist) where I am supposed to select the file for upload.

Prior to big sur, my files could instantaneously be seen and selected when downloaded to my desktop.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? It's a tremendous waste of time since I do a lot of uploading in my job.

Thanks!

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

and reboot as normal

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2021 7:24 AM in response to inky55

inky55 wrote:

Thanks!

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

and reboot as normal

Jun 11, 2021 8:50 AM in response to inky55

inky55 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. In safe mode, the files appeared as they should (FAST).

In regular mode, after rebooting, still slow to appear.

You have something in your user account interfereing with normal operations.

Uninstall any and all third party Antivirus, Cleaners, Optimizers, VPN, speeder uppers....

If you still have an issue—you can get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

Jun 14, 2021 8:21 AM in response to inky55

inky55 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I ran etrecheck. The report is below. I do not run any third party Antivirus, Cleaners, Optimizers, VPN, speeder uppers

___
My report is attached

<report.log>

It is interesting this is your only stated issue "downloaded files take a while to appear on desktop for uploading"....

A good housing cleaning of old and outdated apps, plugin, extension...

Maybe someone can say more about—

Configuration Files:

/etc/hosts - Count: 15

At first glance your mechanical HD seems to be failing(?) You expect a run time of ~3:00 minutes to complete. Full Disk access maybe more revealing...

Runtime: 10:53

Performance: Poor

Problem: Computer is too slow

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention.

Failing hard drive - This computer has a hard drive that appears to be failing.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed that could be adware and should be reviewed.

Automatic updates disabled - Automatic updates are disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

Apple security disabled - Apple security software is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

Minor Issues:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement.

No Time Machine backup - Time Machine backup not found.

Clean up - There are orphan files that could be removed.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. Apple has said that unsigned software will not run by default in a future version of the operating system.

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

Limited drive access - More information may be available with Full Drive Access.

Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.

Sharing enabled - This computer has sharing services enabled that could be a security risk.

ClamXAV3 ? This is antivirus !

cleanupinstaller ?

TechToolProAgent ?

sierrawireless ?

Internet Plug-ins:

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin: 2.3.1.2 (? - installed 2016-03-07)

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: 10.1.16 (? - installed 2016-03-07)

LogMeIn: 1.0.1014 (? - installed 2015-01-16)

AdobePDFViewer: 10.1.16 (? - installed 2016-03-07)

OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin: 12.3.6 (? - installed 2016-03-07)

RealPlayer Plugin: (? - installed 2016-03-07)

SharePointBrowserPlugin: 14.7.7 (? - installed 2019-11-01)

LogMeInSafari32: 1.0.1014 (LogMeIn, Inc. - installed 2015-01-16)

JavaAppletPlugin: Java 8 Update 291 build 10 (? - installed 2021-05-09)

User Internet Plug-ins:

NugsterPlugin: (? - installed 2016-03-07)

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Flip4Mac WMV (? - installed 2009-11-03)

downloaded files take a while to appear on desktop for uploading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.