You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am looking for an external dvd drive that is compatible with the new 2020 macbook air with apple M1 chip

I have looked on Amazon but none of the choices tell me whether the external dvd drive is compatible with new MacBook Air with M1 chip. Amazon customer service was not able to help

I would like to find a inexpensive dvd drive to download cd's onto my laptop

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 7:08 PM

7 replies

Jun 13, 2021 2:53 AM in response to kwbl

Most External DVD Drive should function with the M1 computer. Just need to make sure the USB cable is compatible with the newer USB-C connector on the computer. Often times the DVD Drives have USB-A Male connectors which will not fit to USB-C Female Connectors. Most reliable on-line Retailers do carry a small USB-A to USB-C toggle for that purpose. One I use is AuKey USB-A to USB-C connector

Jun 13, 2021 2:55 PM in response to kwbl

I purchased an Asus external dvd drive at Best Buy that had the correct usb c connection but the drive did not work. The box said it was compatible with latest mba but it was not. the apple superdrive is too expensive. Apple tech support said that the one I purchase was not compatible with latest MBA.

Do you know a specific model external dvd drive that you know works for latest MBA with M! chip.

Jun 14, 2021 5:58 AM in response to kwbl

Many inexpensive DVD drives are powered by the USB ports and many of those ship with a cable that lets you plug in to 2 USB ports on the computer because 1 isn’t enough. While I’m using an Intel MBA not an M1, I found the DVD player I had been using with an older computer wasn’t working when plugged into the MBA. I tried using a powered USB hub which solved the problem. Another solution would be to make sure you purchase a DVD with an external power source.

I am looking for an external dvd drive that is compatible with the new 2020 macbook air with apple M1 chip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.