Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i need to update my software

i need to update my software for my mac

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 12:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 2:02 AM

Not certain if this is an update for El Capitan as you have posted in this Forum or if this is an update to Big Sur as your profile is showing MacBook Air ( 2020 of later ) which would not have El Capitan.

If an update to El Capitan - there have not been update for years. If you mean Upgrade from El Capitan to newer version os macOS The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

With the above information in-hand - follow this How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install. Make sure to use Only Safari to commence the download as Other may not work

Make a Time Machine Backup Before attempting. Notation - Mojave is the Last version to support 32 bit applications / extensions and Drivers. Catalina and Big Sur Only support 64 bit and there is not workaround.

If this is an update within the Big Sur OS - Connect to Router via Ethernet connection and restart the computer in Safe Mode and then open the Apple Apps Store and get the Full Installer of Big Sur. Via Wifi - move computer as close to the Access Point / Router and disconnect all other devices connected to Wifi. Want the maximum bandwidth for the computer.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2021 2:02 AM in response to kamsrahman

Not certain if this is an update for El Capitan as you have posted in this Forum or if this is an update to Big Sur as your profile is showing MacBook Air ( 2020 of later ) which would not have El Capitan.

If an update to El Capitan - there have not been update for years. If you mean Upgrade from El Capitan to newer version os macOS The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

With the above information in-hand - follow this How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install. Make sure to use Only Safari to commence the download as Other may not work

Make a Time Machine Backup Before attempting. Notation - Mojave is the Last version to support 32 bit applications / extensions and Drivers. Catalina and Big Sur Only support 64 bit and there is not workaround.

If this is an update within the Big Sur OS - Connect to Router via Ethernet connection and restart the computer in Safe Mode and then open the Apple Apps Store and get the Full Installer of Big Sur. Via Wifi - move computer as close to the Access Point / Router and disconnect all other devices connected to Wifi. Want the maximum bandwidth for the computer.

i need to update my software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.