Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I ensure lossless tracks will be streamed from Apple Music?

Hello everyone,

I'm currently enjoying lossless playback on Apple Music (with iOS and macOS), but I've noticed that even when albums show lossless (or better quality) that tracks sometimes play in the lower quality. I've got a 1 Gbps internet connection and the Music app configured to play the highest quality available.

What steps should I take to ensure that they'll play back in the higher quality?

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 1:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 3:26 AM

Do you have a measurable evidence proving that the music is played lossy or is it "by ear"?

If the higher quality is selected, then it should provide lossless audio. Hi-res lossless (over 48 kHz) is only available via an USB DAC. Even for regular lossless (< 48 kHz) an USB DAC usually provides better results.

AirPlay seems to work in AAC with Apple Music despite being a lossless capable protocol (up to 44.1 kHz for audio).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2021 3:26 AM in response to brodyhoskins

Do you have a measurable evidence proving that the music is played lossy or is it "by ear"?

If the higher quality is selected, then it should provide lossless audio. Hi-res lossless (over 48 kHz) is only available via an USB DAC. Even for regular lossless (< 48 kHz) an USB DAC usually provides better results.

AirPlay seems to work in AAC with Apple Music despite being a lossless capable protocol (up to 44.1 kHz for audio).

How can I ensure lossless tracks will be streamed from Apple Music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.