Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro stopped booting up

I have an iPad Pro - Ser #DM****1MW with 256G storage, purchased new in April 2016. It

has worked great for 5 years, and with a cracked screen - under a screen protector - for the last 4 years. Recently, it just stopped booting up. I hooked it up to iTunes on my windows 10 laptop and it was recognized and was in recovery mode. The last backup to iCloud was on 6/6/21, so I tried to let it recover. It took several attempts at recovery for it to make it all the way through the download and install of firmware, each time resulting in an error that it could not be recovered. Following instructions on Apple support, I continued to attempt recovery and finally got it to make it all the way through the process where the screen would light up with the Apple logo and the screen where it said that it had been recovered and to keep it connected and it would restart. But, it still won't boot, then iTunes gives the message that it's in recovery mode and has to be recovered and updated. No option to update only. I've made at least 10 attempts where it makes it through to the screen where it says it was recovered and will restart. I've seen various error codes throughout this process, the two I recall are error code 9 and 4014. With many attempts, I didn't check for which error code was assigned. Can you give me some guidance? The closest Apple store is 2 hours away. Is there a way to connect to the iPad to see what the problem is? With one of the last recovery attempts, I tried to force start before I got the error iTunes message showing it in recovery mode, and it did show the screen with the red battery and charge cord. We had no issues with the battery lasting for 5-7 hours of use before this, and in stand-by, lasted longer. It normally just stayed on all the time, but had not been used for a couple days just before the boot-up issue. We keep our young grandchildren, and my wife has to hide it from the kids, so she didn't use it for a couple days, so it was off when she went to use it. She plugged in to let it charge, and it never booted up. My Windows 10 laptop is fully updated, and iTunes is set to automatically update. I even disabled my Norton Security and Firewall and had no other open programs during the last ~10 recovery attempts. I'm on a home network with 100 Mbps cable internet service with no issues while streaming other devices.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 12:00 PM

If you have tried the iPhone reset and recovery and failed, have already been in contact with Apple Support (that’s not us), then use the Get Support link in the upper right and (again) discuss your remaining options with Apple Support.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 14, 2021 12:47 AM in response to g2d2c2

For errors #9 and #4014 see >>> If you see error 9, 4005, 4013 or 4014 when you restore your iOS device – Apple Support

As described, your iPad is unlikely to be recoverable. With a broken screen, you are similarly unlikely to be able to interact with the iPad. The glass of the screen is not simply a cover-glass; it is an active component (the digitiser) of the fully laminated screen assembly - without which, screen touch will be at best unreliable.

You have no alternative other than than to seek repair:

iPad Repair – Official Apple Support

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Unless you have an active AppleCare+ Plan, repair may be uneconomic. The repair cost is typically c.60%of the “as new” cost of the iPad - which represents a considerable proportion of the cost of a replacement new device. As such, it may be considerably quicker and more cost effective to consider replacement with a new iPad.

Jun 14, 2021 7:21 AM in response to g2d2c2

Repairing a ~5 year old iPad Pro with a hardware problem and a cracked screen is probably not the best long-term solution, as LotusPilot suggests.

But you’re unlikely going to regain usefulness of this iPad Pro without a repair.

Only reason I can see to pay for a repair is if you can’t start over with a new iPad and don’t have backups, then maybe a repair makes sense, and it’s far from certain that a repair can preserve your data. But if you’ve got backups, this is a non-issue.

iPad Pro stopped booting up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.