You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uninstalling AVG

I have read the questions and answers about uninstalling AVG software. None of the solutions worked for me. I can't find any traces of AVG on my MAC. I tried installing the free version of AVG so I could run their uninstall program and it won't let you install it because it says there is a copy of AVG on the disk and it must be uninstalled first. Catch 22 here folks. What do you have to do to uninstall AVG?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 8:28 AM

1 reply

Jun 14, 2021 8:49 AM in response to drh921

drh921 Said:

"Uninstalling AVG: [...]What do you have to do to uninstall AVG?"

-------

Uninstalling this:

Dragging & Dropping an application to the Trash just leave files laying about your Mac. So, use an uninstaller for such a program. So, use the links, proved here: Uninstalling AVG AntiVirus | AVG Support. If it doesn't work on your current user, then try a different user (for temporary use), then remove the use once uninstalled. If a new user does not work, then boot in Safe Mode [Hold Down: shift key upon boot], and try uninstalling through that. In Safe Mode, login items do not open at login, temporary settings are placed aside (i.e. caches), and damaged system files are fixed.

Important: Keep Security Software off of your Apple devices. It just gets in the way, and this is a pure example of how and why.

Uninstalling AVG

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.