Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer back up

Hi I have to back up my computer before I send it in and I was wondering how I do that.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 10:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 11:34 PM

The easiest way to make a backup of your Mac is Time Machine. You can set up Time Machine to work silently in the background and make incremental backups of the complete Mac or selected locations. Just connect an external volume: Back up your Mac with Time Machine – Apple Support

Or, if you own cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner make a clone of the internal drive on an external drive.

There is no iCloud backup of your Mac like for the iPhone or iPad. If you are using iCloud Drive or iCloud Photos your documents and data will remain in iCloud, but that is only a part of the things you need to save. And it is not a backup, because the documents and data are your working copies, synced between all your iCloud devices. Consider them to be the only copy of your documents and data, unless you make a proper backup.

If you are planning to send in your Mac for a repair, I would make two backups, not just one, and test them if the are readable before you send the Mac in for a repair.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2021 11:34 PM in response to _ellie_stottler

The easiest way to make a backup of your Mac is Time Machine. You can set up Time Machine to work silently in the background and make incremental backups of the complete Mac or selected locations. Just connect an external volume: Back up your Mac with Time Machine – Apple Support

Or, if you own cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner make a clone of the internal drive on an external drive.

There is no iCloud backup of your Mac like for the iPhone or iPad. If you are using iCloud Drive or iCloud Photos your documents and data will remain in iCloud, but that is only a part of the things you need to save. And it is not a backup, because the documents and data are your working copies, synced between all your iCloud devices. Consider them to be the only copy of your documents and data, unless you make a proper backup.

If you are planning to send in your Mac for a repair, I would make two backups, not just one, and test them if the are readable before you send the Mac in for a repair.

Computer back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.