Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get iMovie back

I need assistance with re-downloading iMovie on my MacBook. I deleted thinking I wouldn’t need to use it but now that I’m trying to re-download it…I’m seeing a message that says “iMovie cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID”.

I do not remember the password for the Apple ID it was purchased with, how can I perhaps fix this?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 9:54 AM

To reset your password, take a look at this link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201487

However, you still have to be using the same Apple I.D. that was in effect when you first acquired iMovie.

To cover the bases, try this procedure:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the

trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before, but deleted it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar.   You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2021 9:54 AM in response to owethumbalu

To reset your password, take a look at this link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201487

However, you still have to be using the same Apple I.D. that was in effect when you first acquired iMovie.

To cover the bases, try this procedure:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the

trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before, but deleted it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar.   You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

How to get iMovie back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.