Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Mesh Wifi and Airport express

I have a wired Ethernet connection going between 4 airport Express’s which I’m currently running WiFi over, I would like to upgrade the WiFi but still use the Airplay 2 on the Express’s what the best Mesh network I can use for this I have Ethernet around the house as concrete floors so Extenders don’t really work

Many thanks

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 1:25 PM

Most mesh systems allow the nodes to use wireless backhaul or ethernet. An exception might be the google nest where the nodes do not even have ethernet ports.

The standard Netgear Orbi or Eero or Linksys velop all allow wired.

Check the reviews of mesh systems here.

https://dongknows.com/best-wi-fi-6-mesh-systems/

https://dongknows.com/best-wi-fi-5-mesh-systems/

A cheapie we use here a bit is the TP-Link Deco M5.. works well. Since you have ethernet there is no need for the more expensive Triband units.

You don't have to use mesh at all. Better systems are available when you use ethernet. Ubiquiti Unifi and TP-Link Omada are two popular ones. Not so easy to configure cf mesh but more secure.

One issue with most mesh systems is cloud management. See

https://dongknows.com/web-interface-vs-mobile-app/

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2021 1:25 PM in response to NYSASTYLE

Most mesh systems allow the nodes to use wireless backhaul or ethernet. An exception might be the google nest where the nodes do not even have ethernet ports.

The standard Netgear Orbi or Eero or Linksys velop all allow wired.

Check the reviews of mesh systems here.

https://dongknows.com/best-wi-fi-6-mesh-systems/

https://dongknows.com/best-wi-fi-5-mesh-systems/

A cheapie we use here a bit is the TP-Link Deco M5.. works well. Since you have ethernet there is no need for the more expensive Triband units.

You don't have to use mesh at all. Better systems are available when you use ethernet. Ubiquiti Unifi and TP-Link Omada are two popular ones. Not so easy to configure cf mesh but more secure.

One issue with most mesh systems is cloud management. See

https://dongknows.com/web-interface-vs-mobile-app/

Jun 15, 2021 2:02 PM in response to NYSASTYLE

So advise would be not to use Google Nest Wifi with Apple Airports as they don’t configure nicely?

The original Google mesh used nodes with ethernet ports. And after a firmware update you could use them with ethernet backhaul. The new model which folded in the Nest product range, comes with one router unit with two ethernet ports and nodes without any ethernet. This makes them unsuitable for you. People do buy 2x or 3x the router unit which can also act as node. This comes out fairly expensive and IMHO traps you into the Google World. And they do require the router unit to be main router.. which is a pain if you have a supplied modem router.

I much rather the handful of mesh products that have onboard setup GUI as Dong recommends in the post I gave. Netgear Orbi or Velop (specific models no doubt). Or buy AP units with roaming and handoff extensions built in. These can be very little more than mesh set but well worth it.

Jun 15, 2021 11:13 PM in response to LaPastenague

so you would recommend ap over Mesh as I have wired Ethernet? The problem I have is the house is built like a tank all concrete so nothing seams to travel through it very well, I currently have 4 airports dotted around with wires running out from main hub and a couple of switches, the Airports Wifi is ok I’m getting 80MBs+ most of the time it’s just I experience a bit of drop out of the music when playing through airplay 2 every now and then I’m not sure if changing the WiFi would help this any thoughts

many thanks for your advise

Jun 16, 2021 4:29 AM in response to NYSASTYLE

Unfortunately express have 100mbps ports.. not industry standard gigabit. So they are relic from bygone age.. good enough for airplay but nothing else.. and really work much better wired than wireless.. so they should be OK but due to the much slower ethernet will really slow down your network.

It is really hard to find products with the form factor I would like. That is a proper AP with 4 or 5 gigabit ports.

Most mesh units are designed to sit on a table or the like.. whereas AP are designed more for ceiling or wall mounting and usually have only one or at most two ethernet ports.

My standby is routers that come with AP mode.. preferably ones like Asus which do actually have a built in mesh as well but they are expensive. You are also after the best possible wifi signal and may as well buy AX products now.

I do like the TP-Link EAP range.. but they are ceiling mount design. You need a controller.. either a small unit or software on PC or Linux.. no Mac software sadly.

Another possible unit which is gaining popularity is Xiaomi A lot series.. The AX1800 is very cheap and has mesh extensions.. which you can setup fairly easily but should also work in AP mode.. it has 4 gigabit ports and should be reasonable. Lots of youtube videos with people using them so have a look. At the moment that is what I would jump to.. having tried Unifi, EAP, and lots of cheap routers which I get second hand off eBay and work perfectly well for my usage.

You can plug the express into the AP by ethernet and use them with wifi turned off. The result will be 200% improved wifi at least. And as AX products become the norm.. more and more will improve the speed and efficiency.

You can also stick to your main router as long as it is fast enough for your internet and MUST have gigabit ports.

The Xiaomi English firmware products don't see a lot of updates so using for AP/Mesh duties is fine and not going to make you subservient to Chinese firmware.

Jun 20, 2021 1:24 AM in response to LaPastenague

So I had a rethink of how to design the network partly due to there being a return fee on the Google Nest as I hadn’t spotted I was buying an import but it seams to work well, I have Virgin internet so have changed to route to modem mode and put the google router next from there into a gigabit switch which everything else runs off and moved the hubs around so as they connect well, it is now working seamlessly and the google interface very easy to operate which is a bonus as we can use it to turn a few things on and off in the garden aswell.

Google Mesh Wifi and Airport express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.