Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPSW Change location

Hello all!

Is it possible to change the location of the IPSW files to an external Hard Drive?

I know they are located "~/Library/iTunes" but I want to move them to an external Hard Drive as I download a lot of these files do to me working at an AASP and it makes my life so much easier not having to download them over and over again.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 1:59 PM

Okay so I figured it out. For anyone else wondering you do the following

If you have any preexisting backups go to "~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/Backup" and rename the "Backup" folder to "Backup (old)". This way you will have a backup in the event it does not work.

Once that is complete make sure you create a folder called "Backup" on your external drive.

Lastly do the following command in terminal:

sudo ln -s /Volumes/{external drive name}/Backup ~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/Backup

If you use Apple Configurator 2 you can also move them by doing the same thing as above but the command will be as follows:

sudo ln -s /Volumes/{external drive name}/Firmware "/Users/{Your user folder}}/Library/Group Containers/K36BKF7T3D.group.com.apple.configurator/Library/Caches/Firmware"

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2021 1:59 PM in response to FluffyRanger

Okay so I figured it out. For anyone else wondering you do the following

If you have any preexisting backups go to "~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/Backup" and rename the "Backup" folder to "Backup (old)". This way you will have a backup in the event it does not work.

Once that is complete make sure you create a folder called "Backup" on your external drive.

Lastly do the following command in terminal:

sudo ln -s /Volumes/{external drive name}/Backup ~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/Backup

If you use Apple Configurator 2 you can also move them by doing the same thing as above but the command will be as follows:

sudo ln -s /Volumes/{external drive name}/Firmware "/Users/{Your user folder}}/Library/Group Containers/K36BKF7T3D.group.com.apple.configurator/Library/Caches/Firmware"

IPSW Change location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.