Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

email disappeared from folders

I moved an email from my gmail inbox to one of my many folders and all the email in all my folders dissapeared. The emails still exist, as I can see them on my phone. How do I restore them in the folders on my macbook?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 1:49 PM

Thanks for the response. It turned out that the synchronize command restored the emails to their folders.

Time machine did not work, nor did the folder rebuild command.

Searching for individual emails was not the issue for me. I did not misplace or move any of the folders, all the folders were still there where I created them. The issue was that all the emails previously in the folders disappeared from all the folders in an instant. The emails were indeed misplaced, but they were misplaced on a massive scale by my computer, for an as yet unknown reason.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2021 1:49 PM in response to OrigamiFan1

Thanks for the response. It turned out that the synchronize command restored the emails to their folders.

Time machine did not work, nor did the folder rebuild command.

Searching for individual emails was not the issue for me. I did not misplace or move any of the folders, all the folders were still there where I created them. The issue was that all the emails previously in the folders disappeared from all the folders in an instant. The emails were indeed misplaced, but they were misplaced on a massive scale by my computer, for an as yet unknown reason.

Jun 16, 2021 1:43 PM in response to waterdog1

Hi waterdog1,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having an issue with locating emails on your Mac. We're happy to help.

When searching for the email by subject or body, are you able to see if it was moved to a different folder? If needed, the guide here can help you search: Search for emails in Mail on Mac

We also recommend checking the sidebar to see if any of your folders or the emails were moved: Use the sidebar in Mail on Mac

The article here also has information on how mailboxes can be moved or copied based on the type of account added: Move or copy emails in Mail on Mac

As you still see the folders and messages on your iPhone, it's likely they were only misplaced. We'd also recommend signing into your Gmail account using a web browser to see if you can locate the messages and folders. Gmail Help - Search in Gmail

Best!

email disappeared from folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.