Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Select which contact name appears as default

I have the same contacts under different names but the one that the phone chooses to display as default when a call, etc. comes in is not the one I want. How do I choose the default contact name please?

iPhone 8

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 9:17 AM

Hi DaveWri!

It sounds like you have multiple entries for the same contacts and would like to choose which is the default, and we're happy to help. Aside from removing the phone number from those contact entries, you could link the contacts to consolidate them. There is no option to make a default contact when you have more than one entry for the same phone number, Apple ID, etc. There are instructions for linking contacts here:

Hide duplicate contacts on iPhone

Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2021 9:17 AM in response to DaveWri

Hi DaveWri!

It sounds like you have multiple entries for the same contacts and would like to choose which is the default, and we're happy to help. Aside from removing the phone number from those contact entries, you could link the contacts to consolidate them. There is no option to make a default contact when you have more than one entry for the same phone number, Apple ID, etc. There are instructions for linking contacts here:

Hide duplicate contacts on iPhone

Cheers!

Select which contact name appears as default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.