Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Edge glow/light bleed on iPhone 12 Pro - is this a common thing?

I bought an iPhone 12 Pro just over a week ago, and I’ve noticed on dark grey there is consistently a ‘glow’ around the edges of the phone screen, including the notch. I’ve tried to let my phone rest for a bit, or be switched off for several hours, but the issue is still there.

since I use dark mode almost ubiquitously, this is a rather frequent issue I am noticing on various apps. It’s a sort of vignette, like the kind you used to get on older iPhones after several years - but it’s only on darker shades and is consistently there, to some degree, depending on how bright the phone screen is set.

I know there are other, more severe reported issues regarding glow, but I’m wondering if this is just part and parcel of this stage of OLED technology? I’m familiar with the shortcomings of OLED when it comes to near-black from my LG TV, but there were never any issues such as edge glow I’m seeing here.

Is this just what the iPhone 12 Pro looks like when producing these greys? I’m familiar with the ‘panel lottery’ of OLED screens so since I’m considering replacement/repair I’m not sure if it is worth it if another model will just be the same/potentially worse in this area.

Do other people see the kind of glow like in the attached images? Is your phone more uniform?

All images are photos taken on an iPhone 6s Plus.

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 11:39 AM

Hello -Kaonashi,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you’re experiencing a problem with your display. We would be happy to help!

To ensure it's not a software issue, please make sure your iPhone is up to date. Also does this happen when you have your display brightness at different levels?

We recommend contacting Apple Support if the issue is persistent

Cheers!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2021 11:39 AM in response to -Kaonashi

Hello -Kaonashi,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you’re experiencing a problem with your display. We would be happy to help!

To ensure it's not a software issue, please make sure your iPhone is up to date. Also does this happen when you have your display brightness at different levels?

We recommend contacting Apple Support if the issue is persistent

Cheers!

Edge glow/light bleed on iPhone 12 Pro - is this a common thing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.