Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Mac OS

I installed Linux on my Mac and wiped the hard drive but I need to use Mac OS again so is there a way to reinstall it. I have access to a m1 MacBook from this year in case that info is needed

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 2:06 AM

How to create a bootable installer for macOS. and understand - whatever version of macOS is the be Downloaded and being used to create the Bootable Installer Must Qualify to run that specific version of maOS.

Example - to create a USB Installer of Big Sur - the computer to perform this USB Installer must Qualify to run Big Sur. Now, you mention having a M1 computer access. That would mean ONLY Big Sur USB Installer could be created. It could not be used to download and / or create a Bootable Installer of say Catalina or Mojave etc.

Now, if the Bootable Installer is made - Question - the Destination computer for this installation from USB - Does it have the T2 Chip Touch ID ? Then read >> About Startup Security Utility

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2021 2:06 AM in response to Anorak_2

How to create a bootable installer for macOS. and understand - whatever version of macOS is the be Downloaded and being used to create the Bootable Installer Must Qualify to run that specific version of maOS.

Example - to create a USB Installer of Big Sur - the computer to perform this USB Installer must Qualify to run Big Sur. Now, you mention having a M1 computer access. That would mean ONLY Big Sur USB Installer could be created. It could not be used to download and / or create a Bootable Installer of say Catalina or Mojave etc.

Now, if the Bootable Installer is made - Question - the Destination computer for this installation from USB - Does it have the T2 Chip Touch ID ? Then read >> About Startup Security Utility

Installing Mac OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.